My fish seems to be bruised!! Help

1. Fancyfish Initiate Member

Hi:

I seem to be going from one problem to another. I have a new 20 gallon tank- three weeks old now. The residents are two fancy goldfish- just small guys.

I just did a 30% water change and tested the water a few minutes ago with my Master test kit: I am showing 0 for ammonia, 0 for nitrate, 0 for nitrite and pH is 7.2. The temperature on my tank is 72- I'll drop it a couple degrees if I can but Fancies don't mind a little bit warmer water.

I also have a Mardel LIVE NH3 in-tank monitor that contradicts the Master kit results: it is registering 0.02 (caution) for ammonia.

I have been treating for Ich since day one- I tried heat and salt for the first week then switched to Ick Attack. About 4 days ago my bigger fish became very listless and was hanging out on the bottom of the tank looking very ill. His feces was stringy and whitish (which I have read indicates internal parasites) so I fed him and his tank mate a round of Jungle Anti-parasite medicated fish food for three days. His last feeding was this morning.
    I also separated the two fish a few days ago as the maller fish began to bully the bigger fish when he became ill (prior to this there were no problems at all).

I read somewhere that I should treat for bacterial infection first, then parasites so perhaps this is part of the problem I am having now..

I want to also mention that I have been doing tons of water changes- even though you aren't supposed to with Ick Attack- I just can't leave my fishies in dirty water as the ammonia levels climb so quickly!

My big fish is very active now, sine having the parasite medication- he seems to be a lot peppier BUT I am so scared because his belly, under one gill and on his little throat seems to be bruised.. the other fish is fine. The "bruising" looks really awful- I read that it could be ammonia burn- I have indeed had ammonia problems and am using Prime, and have an Aquaclear Ammonia remover filter. I am afraid of using too much Prime to try to lower the ammonia..

There is nothing in the tank that my fish could have hurt himself on- I removed the ornaments while treating for Ick because they got in the way of vaccuuming- he has a couple plastic plants to hide behind and that is all.

I read another members thread and this did not end well for her fish- does anyone know what this could be?? I have some pictures that show the bruising.. It is so hard to know what to do since I am still treating for Ick and have another few days of treatment left.. I don't want to mix meds and hurt my fish!!

OMG!!!! I'm a wreck. I just finished writing the above and was downloading photos to post and went to check on the fish and he was limp and almost dead on his side on the bottom of the tank with a huge piece of gravel stuck in his mouth.. I don't know if he maybe swallowed it earlier and it is responsible for the bruising but I had to pick him up and held him in the water at the top of the tank and used tweezers to pick out the gravel- he didn't even fuss. Then I held him close to the top until he gained a bit of strength.. now he is on the bottom grousing about for food and (gulp) sucking up bits of gravel again, but he seems really listless.

I had quite a bit of slime from his coat on my hands- is there something I sould do to help protect him? It is almost 1 am I am afraid he may not make it through the night if he is really weak. He may have just sucked up the gravel or it may have been in his throat..

The gravel is not small- but I am sure going to see if I can find a larger size tomorrow- or should I look for smaller so the fish can easily spit it out??

I'll try to upload the pictures now as I won't be able to sleep.

Okay- I have photos. the first shows Inago Montoya when I first got him- the following two show the bruising, which I have highlighted. (He is such a cute little guy- he has a little black nose and his upper lip is lined with black like a moustache. I would be so sad to lose him..).

Now I am not sure if it was due to a gravel- perhaps it was lodged further down and caused the bruising. I am just so very glad I had insommnia tonight!!!!

I'm still not convinced that it isn't ammonia burns- I change the water like crazy to try to keep the ammonia down but have had problems.. I haven't had a chance to let the tank cycle due to the Ick treatment..

Attached Files:

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello FancyFish. So sorry to hear that you're having fish problems. Sounds like a great rescue removing the rock from it's mouth. I would suggest going to a larger substrate for Gold Fish. I use river rock and it's much too big for them to suck down their little throats. I know it's scary when it happens!

As far as slime coating, your Prime will stimulate the slime coating so you're fine there, along with detoxing the ammonia in your tank. As long as you add the suggested amount to your tank you will not over dose. Only 1 dose per 24 hour period though is all that is needed. The Prime will keep your fish safe from ammonia poisoning.

I don't have personal experience with the medications you're using.

Here's what I think I would do if I were in your shoes. Cure the ICH first. Dose daily with Prime to detox the ammonia in the tank, every 24 hours. Once the ICH has been cured then start with daily 30 to 50 % water changes until you have a 0 reading for ammonia 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates. Continue to dose daily with the Prime. Follow the directions on your medications. If it says no water changes then do as it says. The Prime will keep your fish safe from ammonia as I stated above.

I'm not seeing your photos. If you are uploading and getting a white screen in the end then your files are too large and you can re-size the here:

Free Online Picture Resizer - Crop and Resize photos, images, or pictures online for FREE!

Best of luck. I hope your fish are going to be ok.
    Ken

3. Fancyfish Initiate Member

Thanks Ken.. I am still up and Inago is swimming about and doesn't look too weak. I think I caught him just in time- when I picked him up I actually thought he was dead because he was so limp. The first thing I will do tommorrow is head to the aquarium store.. what a scare!!

I wonder if he thought the gravel was a pea? It is the same colour.. and the piece he swallowed was round.

I will try resizing the pictures- I can see them on my screen- hmm.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

I see them now and Beautiful Goldy! Thanks for sharing with us. I'm so glad to hear he is showing signs of improvement.
    Keep us posted.
    Happy Holidays!
    Ken

5. Fancyfish Initiate Member

Thanks- He is a lovely fish- he has such a cute little face.

Happy Holidays to you, too!!

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not sure what the bruising is FancyFish. Hopefully someone will be able to help out with some good information. Septicemia is caused by ammonia poisoning but if that were the case you would be seeing red streaks throughout the fish. Hold on for more responses.
    Ken

7. Fancyfish Initiate Member

The bruising is much worse today.. he is still active but seems more listless than he was-- I just don't know what to do.

I am thinking of doing a 75% water change out- all these stupid chemicals I've had to use for the Ick and the ammonia just can't be good. I am so sad for the poor little fish- what have I done wrong? He seemed fine when i first got him- that was only three weeks ago. Hiw whole belly and under his gills are dark now..

8. Camille Member Member

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having such bad luck with your goldfish. :(
    If your fish appears sluggish, hiding, not eating, or may have swollen body or red spots, red streaks or bleeding on body area you should treat him with Mardel Maracyn-Two... It sounds like your goldfish has an internal infection...
    Good luck with your goldfish,
    -Camille:animal0028:

9. Fancyfish Initiate Member

Hi there- he is actually eating fine and is reasonably active- also has no red spots or streaking.. I suspect I may have added too much Prime trying to reduce the ammonia levels..

I am replacing the gravel with larger river stones, and am doing a 70% water change- the fish are coming up to the surface a lot for air but I have a bubble stone AND a bubble wall. I'm pretty sure the Ick is gone- I have been treating for two weeks now and have not seen any signs, so I am going to halt the Ick Attack and keep a very close eye.

I have anibacterial food and anti-parasitic food so I'll run them both on the antibacterial for 5 days and see if the big fish improves.

Wish me luck... but if ANYONE has heard of fish bruising please let me know- it looks so awful- I feel so bad for the little guy, especially after the gravel incident last night..

10. Camille Member Member

Hello Fancyfish,
    It sounds like you have the situation under control. In all of my years of fish keeping I have never seen or heard of a fish bruising... I thought it might be an internal infection because internal infections kind of look like a dark red bruise or bump. If I were you and the bruising doesn't go away I would treat him with Maracyn-Two because I had a gourami that had bruise marks like your goldfish (I saw the pictures of him and they look very similar to what my gourami had) I treated the gourami with Maracyn-Two and the bruising went away.

11. Fancyfish Initiate Member

Let's see- on hand I have Maracyn, Jungle Paracite clear, TC Tertacucline, Melafix and antibiotic and anti-parasite food. Would any of these work? I thought I'd try him on the anibacterial food for 5 days because I have read on several forums that you should always treat for a bacterial infection before treating for parasites.. does anyone have any thoughts about this?

12. Camille Member Member

I'm afraid none of the things you have on hand will work for what I'm 70% sure your fish has... You really should go to your local fish store and buy Maracyn-Two, even if you don't use it for the goldfish it's still handy to have because it treats almost everything. I wouldn't know about the antibacterial food, my fish have never had bacterial infections or parasites.
    Good luck to you and your fish,
    -Camille:animal0028:

13. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I;m sorry about all your troubles. I don't know very much about this, except that you may want to start soaking his food in garlic juice. I've read that garlic builds the immune system and also helps with parasites.

you can buy minced garlic in the grocery store, use some of the juice to soak his food in. My jar doesn't have juice, so I take some chunks of garlic, put in a little water and leave it for a bit to make the juice.

14. Camille Member Member

Wow, I've never heard of feeding fish garlic... I guess you learn something new every day! I would have thought garlic was too strong for fish.

15. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I learned it from this forum. And then one day I was at the fish store, and one customer was recommending it to another customer. A lot of people soak all the freeze-dried food they give their fish in garlic, some soak green peas in garlic. A few add some juice to the tank every week. I know they sell a product called garlic guard, but I haven't used it.

16. Camille Member Member

A very helpful thing to know! Thanks Meenu. :)

17. gremlin Well Known Member Member

You could also just go bare bottom for a while. At least until both fish are nice and healthy again. That would make it easier for your vacuuming and such.

18. Fancyfish Initiate Member

Yes, Thank you. I have heard of using garlic juice to enhance foods- will try it. I'll pick up some Maracyn II as well- thanks for the advice!

19. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I use garlic with all my fish! they enjoy eating it and it has never done them any harm :).

Keep us updted on your finned baby I know its hard and how much they can worry us :;hug2

20. Fancyfish Initiate Member

The "bruising" is much darker today.. I have a new photo which shows it a little more clearly. I seriously doubt that it is bruising, though. It looks more like blood pooling.

I was wondering.. if perhaps he might have actually managed to swallow a piece of gravel. What would happen? Would it possibly cause internal bleeding? And if he did, would it pass through or would it be more likely to obstruct?

Attached Files: