Hi: I seem to be going from one problem to another. I have a new 20 gallon tank- three weeks old now. The residents are two fancy goldfish- just small guys. I just did a 30% water change and tested the water a few minutes ago with my Master test kit: I am showing 0 for ammonia, 0 for nitrate, 0 for nitrite and pH is 7.2. The temperature on my tank is 72- I'll drop it a couple degrees if I can but Fancies don't mind a little bit warmer water. I also have a Mardel LIVE NH3 in-tank monitor that contradicts the Master kit results: it is registering 0.02 (caution) for ammonia. I have been treating for Ich since day one- I tried heat and salt for the first week then switched to Ick Attack. About 4 days ago my bigger fish became very listless and was hanging out on the bottom of the tank looking very ill. His feces was stringy and whitish (which I have read indicates internal parasites) so I fed him and his tank mate a round of Jungle Anti-parasite medicated fish food for three days. His last feeding was this morning. I also separated the two fish a few days ago as the maller fish began to bully the bigger fish when he became ill (prior to this there were no problems at all). I read somewhere that I should treat for bacterial infection first, then parasites so perhaps this is part of the problem I am having now.. I want to also mention that I have been doing tons of water changes- even though you aren't supposed to with Ick Attack- I just can't leave my fishies in dirty water as the ammonia levels climb so quickly! My big fish is very active now, sine having the parasite medication- he seems to be a lot peppier BUT I am so scared because his belly, under one gill and on his little throat seems to be bruised.. the other fish is fine. The "bruising" looks really awful- I read that it could be ammonia burn- I have indeed had ammonia problems and am using Prime, and have an Aquaclear Ammonia remover filter. I am afraid of using too much Prime to try to lower the ammonia.. There is nothing in the tank that my fish could have hurt himself on- I removed the ornaments while treating for Ick because they got in the way of vaccuuming- he has a couple plastic plants to hide behind and that is all. I read another members thread and this did not end well for her fish- does anyone know what this could be?? I have some pictures that show the bruising.. It is so hard to know what to do since I am still treating for Ick and have another few days of treatment left.. I don't want to mix meds and hurt my fish!! OMG!!!! I'm a wreck. I just finished writing the above and was downloading photos to post and went to check on the fish and he was limp and almost dead on his side on the bottom of the tank with a huge piece of gravel stuck in his mouth.. I don't know if he maybe swallowed it earlier and it is responsible for the bruising but I had to pick him up and held him in the water at the top of the tank and used tweezers to pick out the gravel- he didn't even fuss. Then I held him close to the top until he gained a bit of strength.. now he is on the bottom grousing about for food and (gulp) sucking up bits of gravel again, but he seems really listless. I had quite a bit of slime from his coat on my hands- is there something I sould do to help protect him? It is almost 1 am I am afraid he may not make it through the night if he is really weak. He may have just sucked up the gravel or it may have been in his throat.. The gravel is not small- but I am sure going to see if I can find a larger size tomorrow- or should I look for smaller so the fish can easily spit it out?? I'll try to upload the pictures now as I won't be able to sleep. Okay- I have photos. the first shows Inago Montoya when I first got him- the following two show the bruising, which I have highlighted. (He is such a cute little guy- he has a little black nose and his upper lip is lined with black like a moustache. I would be so sad to lose him..). Now I am not sure if it was due to a gravel- perhaps it was lodged further down and caused the bruising. I am just so very glad I had insommnia tonight!!!! I'm still not convinced that it isn't ammonia burns- I change the water like crazy to try to keep the ammonia down but have had problems.. I haven't had a chance to let the tank cycle due to the Ick treatment..