my fish keeps flicking

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by hippychick123, Mar 21, 2010.

1. h

hippychick123 New Member Member

hi my tank is new and i am new to all this fish keeping. i have a 190 liter coner tank and i have 3 guppys 1 patty 2 sliver sharks 2 sucker fishes 2 mollys 4 neons and i have notice that some of the fish are flicking off the rocks. i have been to the shop and brought some myxazin so im hoping it will sort it out but can anyone tell me why this happened. also brought some frozen blood worm how many times should i feed this to them thank u

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to fishLore!
    There are several reasons fish flick of the rooks. Look closely do you see tiny white spots that look like salt? That is what ICH ( a common fish disease) looks like.
    What are your water test readings? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates? High Nitrates will also cause them to flick off the rocks.
    Carol

3. d

djorna Valued Member Member

feed them twice a day but only what they will eat anything that the fish don't eat that falls to the bottom of your tank and stays is a sign of over feeding. good luck and welcome to fish lore

4. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

My fish did that when they had ich. I would highly advise not to put any chemicals (meds) in the tank unless you know what exactly you're treating.

5. d

djorna Valued Member Member

if they do have ick turn your temp up to 84 degress for 2 weeks I agree with above post don't use meds.

6. OP
    OP
    h

i have turned my tank up to 84. i have not tested my tank didnt know i had to. which are the best testing kits to bye. not white spots on fish. fish are swiming much calmer today but am treating them. thank u everyone. x

7. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore~
    your info says you know about the nitrogen cycle....how was the tank cycled? you need a kit to test for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates in the tank....api makes a great liquid master test kit that has everything you need in one kit...heres a link for a great price on one   scroll down to the api master kit......then daily water changes until the tanks cycle will be needed....meds wont be needed or higher temps as I just think the tank will be fine when you get the cycle done....good luck!

8. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

But what exactly are you treating them for? That's what we want to help you find out.

9. OP
    OP
    h

the fish shop where i brought my fish said that the fish may have fin rot. so i am treating them for that. my fish are much better today and i noticed that the filter was not kicking out very much so i cleaned that today and they seem fine. will bye a test kit x

10. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im glad your fish are better!!!
    just remember for future issues, your fish store is out to make money off you....fin rot can be cured most of the time with just daily water changes and no meds.....your fish store sold you fish/tank without advising on the tank needing to be cycled....again, they are out to make money not keep you and your fish happy in this hobby :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice