My Fish Keep Dying Help

1. Esli

Esli Valued Member Member

I posted a thread earlier.
    I got some reponses but it seems like adding unquarantined fish to my tank has killed all of my neon tetras.
    I had 3 remaining and 2 of them have now died. I just did a 50% water change, and shortly during the water change the 2 died.
    I am worried about the rest of my fish.
    Is there anything else I can do? I have no idea what exactly is causing them to die.

2. kayla20johnson

kayla20johnson Valued Member Member

Have you tested for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

3. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

There has been so much inbreeding of neons it's pathetic. They are probably the fish I see posted with problems the most. There is even a problem that is now referred to as neon disease. Tetra Guard is the most recommended treatment for them. They are also very sensitive to poor water quality and changes in water parameter changes, especially high ammonia and quick pH changes.

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

The deaths during the WC probably happened due to shock from the water.

Neons have been so inbred that the wild neons are a lot hardier.

I’ve also heard that the ones bred in Florida are healthier.

5. OP
    OP
    Esli

Esli Valued Member Member

Yes
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5 ppm

Well the thing is that they have been good for 5 months. I bring in a school of fish, who all died from getting stuck to the filter & a day later my fish start dying out of no where.

6. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

I suggest you just give up on the neons. Cardinal tetras look almost identical bet even more colorful, a tad bit larger, and hardier. They are more expensive though and harder to find.

7. s

shinbruise New Member Member

Agreed. Though Cardinals run a bit more price-wise, they're a lot hardier than neons. If your Neons are dying in groups and your water parameters are stable, it's most likely inbreeding. I'd definitely go for cardinals if you'd like something similar.