my fish is weird!!

1. funfish012 Initiate Member

Hey fish friends! we have recently bought some celebes rainbows and some brilliant rasboras, they seem happy enough but im pretty sure they think they are the same species as they shoal together! they never leave each other alone! :p why is that do you think?? Also why do my cherry barbs hide a lot! they are never out! only at meal times! :D

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

How many of each do you have? If they're in small numbers they'll often buddy up with similar fish for safety, the cherry barbs in small numbers can be quite shy which could be why they're hiding so much

3. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Celebes is one of my favorite fish. Good choice.

Yeah, smaller groups will sort of shoal together with other groups if they feel the need to.

4. funfish012 Initiate Member

We have 3 cherry barbs? would i need more? i love the celebes rainbows! i dont know much about barbs! so id love some advice!! :)

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

6. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Hi there :) I notice your Nitrates are 80ppm, if this is a current reading you should perform a water change. This could also be why your barbs aren't so perky.x

7. funfish012 Initiate Member

Thankyou for the advice guys! We bought 2 more cherry barbs to add to the three we had and now they are in view and swimming around!!

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That's good :)
    Keep an eye on those nitrates & as Hollie suggested more frequent water changes to keep them down

9. funfish012 Initiate Member

We are testing everyday and doing water changes!!! :):)

10. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

If your Nitrates are 80ppm, you will need to do more/bigger changes to try and get them below 40ppm with below 20ppm being ideal.x

11. funfish012 Initiate Member

Our nitrate levels were really high! so we have decided to do 50% water change everyday for the next week! :)

12. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

You need to do your water changes according to your test results.

If your Nirtate is 80ppm you will need a 75% water change to bring it to 20ppm (as they will rise in the hours after the change), a larger water change would be advised and you will need to continue your changes for as long as necessary. Long term exposure to Nitrate can cause many issues, including Nitrate poisoning.

You will need to test your water daily and perform a water change that will bring your Nitrates to (at least) below 20ppm. Adding some fast growing plants such as Elodea or Cabomba will also help as they will eat the Nitrates.

Good luck :)