My Fish Is Sick Now Because Of My Water

mohair3

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just received my bio-rings...I took out one of the filter cartridges and put that in its place.
I also a few minutes ago, ordered some Seachem Pristine.
My filter pad will be here tomorrow, not sure what to do with that now since there is no room in the filter area.

I did a big water change today because it was due and the water is clear for about an hour and there it goes back to being cloudy.

Not sure what the bio-rings are actually going to do to help. The Seachem Pristine comes Wednesday. There is no waste in the tank, no extra food so I am at a loss.

I can't remember the name of her disease but she had it before. (maybe lymphocystitis) We thought it was due to high ammonia levels so that's why we upgraded to the 20 gallon tank but here we are already dealing with the same issue. I try to take care of my animals but taking care of fish seem to be the luck of the Irish. I"m a bit depressed that she is unwell.

P.S. I took out the resin decoration just in case...so now there is nothing in her tank except her and a starfish for the air pump.

mohair3

Valued Member
Reaction score
No ammonia and I just bought my third filter...I could open a shop and sell aquarium products I have bought so much stuff since December.
It's a Marineland Penquin 30-50 gallon.
And it's a goldfish.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No ammonia and I just bought my third filter...I could open a shop and sell aquarium products I have bought so much stuff since December.
And it's a goldfish.
OK, sounds like a Penguin 100. You can cut the filter floss out of the old media and roll it up tight and stuff it in the bottom of that filter and put your bio rings on top (Matrix would be better). You need to get out of cartridge mode. Suggest you get a intake course sponge to go over the intake. This will show you here.

Then read more here.

Diy Media Guide For Top Fin Silenstream, Aquaclear And Other Hob Filters

BusterBot28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
And it's a goldfish.
What test kit or test strips do you use? Do you use bio support and/or a dechlorinater? If so are they expired? What kind of symptoms is your goldfish showing?

mohair3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok it's a Marineland 200. I actually like Marineland filters lol They are quiet and my last one seemed to work well when I was changing the filter every week. What is filter floss and matrix?
I use the API Master Test kit. The filter has a bio-filter. I use Seachem Prime for the dechlorinator.
Still watching the video but wanted to reply back.
Oh and the fish has this raised red patch on her gil and one one her side...last time her eye was swollen, it's very ugly.

Last edited:

mohair3

Valued Member
Reaction score
I guess what is puzzling me...I just did the water change. 50% or more..how can the water be cloudy?
Her water is so cloudy I can't even get a good picture of her to show you the red area.
She eats Repashy so there is no food waste.

mohair3

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am posting two images. One is my current water condition showing her red skin area and the clear image is before I changed her aquarium to a 20 gallon. Boy it's a lot clearer, I'm shocked to see that. But she still had that skin condition but the ammonia was high.

mohair3

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think I have it figured out but only time will tell.
A BIG thanks to each of you who responded to help me.
When you feel like you are doing everything right and nothing helps, it's frustrating.

Last edited:

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am posting two images. One is my current water condition showing her red skin area and the clear image is before I changed her aquarium to a 20 gallon. Boy it's a lot clearer, I'm shocked to see that. But she still had that skin condition but the ammonia was high.
Do you have 2 tanks? I see green water in one. Which is correct?

mohair3

Valued Member
Reaction score
No I have one tank. The clear one was in December.
So this is a BIG guess...but there was a decoration in the tank where she'd hide to go poo. So the poo just sat there for a week accumulating until I cleaned the tank. So I removed it, hopefully the filter can do it's job now and hopefully that is the issue. I am hoping I didn't put in too many bio-rings in my panic though.

Also I started just rinsing my filter in the discard water. The clean tank, I was using a clean filter cartridge every time.

Last edited:

BusterBot28

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So this is a BIG guess...but there was a decoration in the tank where she'd hide to go poo. So the poo just sat there for a week accumulating until I cleaned the tank. So I removed it, hopefully the filter can do it's job now and hopefully that is the issue. I am hoping I didn't put in too many bio-rings in my panic though.

Also I started just rinsing my filter in the discard water. The clean tank, I was using a clean filter cartridge every time.
Poop sitting around for a whole week would do it!

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Glad you figured it out!
She’s a very pretty fish. I do miss having goldfish but I sure don’t miss their messiness lol!
Maybe I’ll set up an outdoor pond when I retire

Jerome O'Neil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Making big changes to an established filter (swapping out media for new bio-balls) is generally going to cause some disruption in your water chemistry. This is particularly true if you are swapping out biological media, which it sounds like you are. You swapped in new bio-media, which means that your bacteria colony took a huge hit. That diminished the filter's ability to convert ammonia and nitrite into nitrate. In a smaller tank with messier fish, that can be a big deal. The bio-rings themselves do not do anything for you other than provide surface area for the bacteria colony to grow. Adding more of them won't have any immediate effect as re-establishing that colony may take weeks.

You should do daily water changes until you get that back, and you can probably help it out by adding a bacterial supplement and treat with Ammolock or some other ammonia neutralizer until your filter stabilizes again.

mohair3

Valued Member
Reaction score
I only changed the filter because I thought the smaller one wasn't doing its job. I transferred two of the old filter cartridges into the new one to keep the bacteria and of course there was leftover water with bacteria.
@Basil..thank you...too bad she is going to grow into Moby Dick o_O If things turn out, I plan on putting her outside...I'm semi-retired already but I need to move.
@buster....yeah amazing I just now figured that out haha

mohair3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Even after a 50% water change, nitrates are still high. With no sign of poo anywhere.
The filter pad won't fit in my filter area. Neither will the bio-rings. I bought some matrix, took the bio-rings out their bag and used it for the Matrix and then sat the bag of Matrix on the bottom of the aquarium. I also stuck a tiny Purigen bag in behind my filter cartridge.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom