My Fish Is Scared Of Light.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nicholas04, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Nicholas04New MemberMember

I recently noticed that my comet goldfish has been laying on the gravel next to the same plant all the time. Then i realized that when the light was turned off in the room, he would swim up and act normal. is this common behavior? Water quality is fine and i just did a water change so water quality is not an issue.

2. James17

James17Well Known MemberMember

I wouldn't think it is common, I'd also give him a place to hide out of the light, that seems to be what he/she wants.

3. VioletSS

VioletSSValued MemberMember

How long has he been in the tank? Is this new behavior?

My goldfish likes to hang out under plant leaves sometimes.

4. Punkin

PunkinWell Known MemberMember

I have black neon tetras that really don't like light. It may be an instinct thing to stay hidden from predators. When artificial lights are out/low they are all over the tank, and are ok in daylight too

5. Herkimur

HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

Carp like it dark because in the wild they sift through the bottom.
    Once in awhile they speed through the pond to check out the neighborhood (and check for duckweed) then quickly disappear again into the distant dark.

6. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

Is your fish new and from a 'feeder fish' bin? If so...that's why. These fish tend to be incredibly shy until they get used to people being around, and when you turn on the light, it can see you and everything else. It took one of my commons (from a feeder fish bin) a month to get used to me, whereas my shubunkin and fancy goldfish from the more expensive goldfish section were used to me within a few days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice