My fish is dying...

1. ara Member Member

A few weeks ago I noticed that my betta Malysh developed something like a tumor on her right side. She looked deformed but was active and had a good appetite. Unfortunately her tumor grew really fast and Malysh began to feel weaker and weaker every day. Today I noticed that her scales stick out and she is really swollen. She looks really bad. Now I am pretty sure she has dropsy. Malysh shares her tank with another betta Misa. Misa is fine right now. Can she catch dropsy from Malysh? Should I separate them or it's too late?

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry about your Malysh. :(
    I do believe that dropsy is contagious, so I think it is for the best to separate them. They may do better alone anyway.
    Poor thing, with dropsy and a tumor.
    edit: I just went back and read up on dropsy. I misremembered what I had previously read. Dropsy isn't considered contagious, but apparently, it is still recommended to separate the afflicted fish from others. :oops:

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm so sorry Malysh isn't feeling well. :(
    Are her scales sticking out just where she's swollen or all over?
    Can you post a pic?
    What size is the tank, is it divided?
    If it's dropsy, I don't think it's normally contagious but the underlying causes of the dropsy may be contagious.

4. ara Member Member

Malysh is still alive. She even ate 4 pellets this morning. But she stays in one place floating near the top of her tank. She is in a divided 6 gal tank. I haven't moved her or another fish out of it. If she really has dropsy (I think it is not a tumor) and if it's contagious Misa has already gotten it as well.

Attached Files:

5. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Good she's still alive and still eating (she's a lovely girl btw, love her little face). I hope someone can help you out more soon

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Is that her breeding tube that's extended prominently in the last pic? Is Misa and male or female?
    I wonder if she's egg bound or just extremely bloated?
    Have you tried, peas or fasting?

7. ara Member Member

Thanks for your replies!
    Lucy, yes it is Malysh's breeding tube. Since she began to swell on one side the tube isn't in the middle of her belly any more. Also her belly looks dark and inflamed. Misa is a girl too.
    I don't think Malysh is constipated or egg bound. Something really serious is going on with her. First it looked like a tumor. Now she is bloated all over (the right side is bigger) and her scales look suspicious.
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose her. She was a very happy, healthy betta. I wish I could do something for her.

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:;group

9. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

ooooh, what a darling girl. I'm sorry she isn't at her best. I had a girl with a tumor and she lived for nearly a year after it first showed itself. maybe your baby girl will be lucky. I do not like the rate at which it is growing though.