My Fish is dying

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by tdc, Nov 29, 2012.

1. t

tdc New Member Member

I have a spotted molly who is black and white.He or she, im not quite sure what gender it is, is just lying on the bottom of the tank and breathing very fast. It has been like this for a few days or so. I also have two other molly fish, and one of them is pregnant. They are acting normal so i dont think it is the temperature that is causing the problem, is he just sick??

2. WaterSpirit

WaterSpirit Valued Member Member

Hi tdc! So sorry to hear about your molly. What are the parameters of your water?

3. OP
    OP
    t

tdc New Member Member

hhhhm that is a very good question, I honestly have no idea. Ive just had this tank for a very long time.

4. WaterSpirit

Well, since you don't know, just go ahead and do a 50% water change. Chances are, your nitrates (maybe ammonia and nitrite too) are really high. It could be affecting just the one Molly right now due to some illness due to poor water quality and the others may be soon to follow. I would do the water change immediately. Poor Molly :( How old is he/her?

5. OP
    OP
    t

tdc New Member Member

I only got them like 4 months ago, so it is hard to be specific. Its name is oreo. I also have 2 others, bonnie and slim shady. Plus three ghost shrimp, i had a frog too but it died a month ago.

6. OP
    OP
    t

tdc New Member Member

And thank you for the advice i will do that right away and see if it helps!!!

7. WaterSpirit

Post back with how Oreo is doing after the water change! cute name!!!

8. OP
    OP
    t

tdc New Member Member

Thank you! I will put up word of if it worked.

9. WaterSpirit

Mollies are livebearers, so Oreo could be a female having trouble birthing. Are any other Mollies hanging with Oreo? If so, separate them if you can and turn the lights very low, or even off and keep it quiet in the room they're in so any stress can be reduced as much as possible, after you change the water of course!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  10. Ziabis

Ziabis Well Known Member Member

I hope everything turns out well.

11. WaterSpirit

Any word on the Molly?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice