My Fish Is Dying, Please Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by DogButtsAreCute, Apr 23, 2017.

1. DogButtsAreCuteNew MemberMember

Hey, so I need help with my betta. I think he has fin rot, though I don't understand how he would have gotten it. I've had him for a few months, and he lives by himself in a cycled 10 gallon heated & filtered tank, and I do 25% water changes every week. I also have the API master test kit, and test his water every week, he always has perfect conditions: 0ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrites, and anywhere from 5-20ppm nitrate, depending on how close to cleaning day I test the water. My water is very clean, and so that is why I am skeptical that it is fin rot, even though that's what I think it looks like.

So far, I did a 75% water change in the 10 gallon tank, cleaned all of the fake plants by scrubbing them with extremely hot water, and put in a new filter (I'm planning on leaving the old filter in with the new one for about a week so that I don't crash my cycle)

I put Cas, my fish, into a gallon rubber maid container, along with 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt, and a half dosage of bettafix. I don't know what to do from here, and I love my fish, I really need help. My questions are:

-Should I change the water in his quarantine tank every day? And if so do I do 100% water changes?

-Is bettafix going to help? I've read online that it could be harmful

-How long should I keep Cas in quarantine/ How long until I receive results and can return him to his original tank?

-What else should I do to make my 10 gallon tank hospitable for Cas again?

-Also, is this really fin rot? Or something else? I'm pretty new to fish keeping and any tips, or just telling me what to do would be fantastic.

Thank you so much in advance, my fish is super important to me, and I feel horrible that I've let him get sick. Pics below

094cd6227f81f0e3fff26ffcb96e013d.jpg
    This is his original tank

79ef36e07a8468f3bf9ccb7a276ec1c4.jpg
    His one gallon quarantine tank

e421e30c11378f5c67ac553618727dc5.jpg
    This is Cas, the backs of his fins look all torn, and are receded from his original fin line

a585b8a0e2b92e928e8ee7a7ea9fbf6d.jpg

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Awesome! Your tank is cycled and everything!

I would try to avoid medications until you really need them. Try getting the temperature to 78 - 80, and make it stay constant.

BettaFIX is not harmful, but it's not that efficient with fin rot. PimaFix can help, but I could suggest that you get Seachem Prime for a conditioner to protect him from later illnesses.

3. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

1. Yes, don't do 100% though. 75% at most. I'd also suggest leaving him in his main tank to reduce stress.
    2. I wouldn't add it, it can cause problems and isn't needed.
    3. I'd keep him in his main tank, results depend really on fish to fish.
    4. Make sure there isn't anything that can sang his fins, test it by rubbing pantyhose on them.
    It doesn't look to much like regular fin rot to me, seems closer to fin melt. Maybe you could look it up and see if it looks closer to you, if so you'll need to treat with an antibacterial.(if you aren't sure then I'd suggest doing daily waterchanges for a few weeks to see if it improves, if it doesn't then try an antibacterial).

4. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

The photo of Cas didn't work for me but I could see the one of his tank. Those plants look spiky to me, I would swap them for silk of live plants and see if he starts to get better.

Why did you put him in a 1 gallon quarantine? Why not just leave him in the 10 gallon?

5. DogButtsAreCuteNew MemberMember

If I was going to be doing large water changes every day, I thought it would be easier to do so, and waste less water in a smaller tank

b132e47b770fa8045e9956f59a265c67.jpg

Does this pic work?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  6. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Yep! Looks more like an illness than just torn fins. How long has he been like this?

7. DogButtsAreCuteNew MemberMember

Just this past week, it looked at its worst yesterday, which is why I moved him to a different tank

8. rena7874Valued MemberMember

The ends of his fins don't look black to me. Is it possible he's tail biting?

9. DogButtsAreCuteNew MemberMember

I have no idea, I've never seen him do it though, and there's an awful lot of fin missing.

10. PrismWell Known MemberMember

Dog, I think I have a solution, You don't need to replace the filter or anything, but if you want you can, my brothers old betta used to do that as well, its the problem of no hiding spots and artificial plants, betta's like to have living plants in there environment, so buy some of those, and make sure to temp of the aquarium is not over 84 F˚, or below 70 F˚, and make sure to include lots of hiding places, maybe recommending getting a driftwood? But you don't have to but make sure to include lots of hiding spots, or your betta will start biting his fins, and he will get stressed and even maybe get a sickness.

Goodluck !!

- Tip Tap.

11. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Bettas need water above 78f

12. pixelhootValued MemberMember

I'd like to second the notion of something in the tank tearing his fins. My boy Cinnamon got a new piece of decor, but I totally forgot to check for sharp spots cause it was a piece like the lantern you have rather than a plant (which I always connect to checking) but when I filed it down, his fins started growing back after a while! I hope he feels better soon! Really cute boy!

13. AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

And if you leave him in the qt tank too long, you will lose the cycle in your main tank. I also advise to keep him in his main tank and use meds there, or do short daily or twice daily baths in meds.

14. DogButtsAreCuteNew MemberMember

I am putting liquid ammonia in the main tank to maintain the cycle

15. AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

Is his qt heated and filtered?

16. DogButtsAreCuteNew MemberMember

No, it's not, it's just a plastic container

17. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I'd definetly keep him in his tank then, when they're sick they especially need a cycled and heated tank.

18. DogButtsAreCuteNew MemberMember

It's 10 gallons though, how much water should I change, and how often?

19. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

You don't have to do to much since it's daily(if needed you can do bi-daily) I'd say 25-50%.

20. DogButtsAreCuteNew MemberMember

Okay. And so you'd recommend to not use bettafix?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice