My Fish Have Ich Now

1. Ellie Winters

Ellie Winters New Member Member

I got a baby bristlenose pleco for my 37g tank few few days ago from aquatic arts but it had ich when I got it and died in only two days of me having it. I wasn't home to put it in the tank myself so I had my mom do it with my instructions. She knows nothing of fish. Didn't think to have her take pictures of it before opening the bag. Stupid. ):

I already sent an email to them about it. (Edit) Thankfully they refunded me and even gave me a $20 store credit. So good on them. They're pretty great about customer service. At least from what I can tell.

Point is. After the pleco died it seems to have left a memento for all the rest of my fish in the form of ich. How do I treat it? I'd really rather not ruin the cycle with medications because I just got this tank cycled and was in the process of stocking it. Water temp is already set to 82F but I think it stays closer to 80F. It's hard to tell with my thermometer.

The inhabitants are
    7 glowlight tetras
    2 orange von rio tetras (not getting more until the ich is dealt with.)
    2 mystery snails

Sadly I don't have a tank I could use as a quarantine and I don't have the space for one. I live in a small trailer. Even if I had space my mom wouldn't let me keep an empty tank for that. We've discussed it. It took a year and a lot of guilting to convince her to let me get the 37g.

And I straight up can't afford to live on my own.

I will provide pictures if needed.

2. Kidd13rl

Kidd13rl New Member Member

I've had good results with bringing the temp up to 84-85, and Kordon's Rid Ich +. The medication will not hurt your cycle, just make sure you take out your carbon filter media during treatment with most medications as well. Also make sure you are doing adequate water changes, and follow the directions. You also have to make sure to treat for atleast 48 hours after the last signs of ich. There are a lot of other posts with advice on how to treat on here, so do some research and try which one works for you. I would caution against using salt however, if you have any live plants.

3. OP
    OP
    Ellie Winters

I bumped my temp up to 85. I will look into that. But I'm not sure how that will work since my filter is one that uses cartridges. I've read the cartridge is where most of the beneficial bacteria live in filters like that. I won't use salt because I have both live plants and snails.

4. Kidd13rl

Kidd13rl New Member Member

If you decide you want to medicate, you can cut a slit in the cartridge and empty the carbon. The other option is to cut a large piece of the filter media off, and then replace the whole cartridge with a filter pad and put the cut piece in front of it, so as to not lose the beneficial bacteria. You can try the heat method first though, and if it doesnt seem to be working bump it up to 86 or try the medication.

5. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

86F temp for 2 weeks and vac gravel every other day to get rid of ich spores. That’s all you need. I use to use Rid Ich but last time it didn’t work. I switched to heat method and it knocked the ich out.

6. OP
    OP
    Ellie Winters

Hmm. Okay I will try that. Hopefully since today is the first day I noticed any spots it will be easy to get rid of. If heat doesn't work I will look into using a medication. But I really hope it won't come to that.

Do I have to worry about the gravel vacuum reintroducing the ich to the tank? It's one of those python vacuums that hooks up to the faucet.

7. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

The ich can’t live on it once it dries out. Be sure to hang it out well to drain and dry. You can also run a little bleach and water through it followed by some Prime mixed in with some water to neutralize the chlorine in bleach.

8. OP
    OP
    Ellie Winters

Okay t
    Okay thank you. I'll be sure to do that. :)