My fish has red gills, how do I cure this?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by severage, Dec 21, 2012.

1. severageValued MemberMember

I'll give full details. A few days ago, my ropefish actually got too curious and swam up the tank filter. I noticed it when I couldnt find him and the filter was making an odd sound. We got him out eventually, but to do it, we had to poor him out of the filter, and I suspect that caused a massive ammonia spike, since he went to the bottom and started gulping for air. Later, we did an entire tank change, and now the ph level is around 7. However, he isnt moving around too much, and his gills are turning a slight shade of red. Im wondering what could cause this, and how to fix it if possible. Thanks

2. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

Pouring the filter water into the tank shouldn't have caused any ammonia spike. Everything that's in the filter is essentially in the tank water anyway.

My guess would be he may have injured himself while in the filter box, at least exhausted himself.

When you did the "tank change", do you mean you changed all the water? If so, did you use some kind of chlorine neutralizer? Did you add any other chemicals to the tank water? Keep the temp. the same?

Do you have an ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate test kit? If not, you should invest in one. The API liquid, freshwater test kit is most recommended. The simple test strips are notoriously inaccurate and should be avoided. Knowing for sure what these values are will help tremendously, especially to avoid many future problems. Do you do regular water changes?

Sorry for so many more questions than answers, but this info may help others to offer their ideas and suggestions.

In the meantime, adding some API "Stress Coat" may help him heal any injuries he has.

Hopefully others will join in soon with their thoughts and suggestions.

Also, welcome to Fishlore. :;hi1

3. OP
    OP
    s

severageValued MemberMember

Thanks for the help. For some reason, his gills have turned much less red than they were, which is good. He is also moving around a bit more, which he hasn't for a while. He still isnt moving around as much as he used to, and mainly stays at the bottom of the tank, but it looks like he is improving. When I did the tank change, I did change all of the water. We normally change the water a bit every few weeks. We dont have a test kit for any of the things you have mentioned. Thanks anyway, I hope he continues to improve.

4. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Oh man, you should never change ALL of the water at once :/ (and you did use dechlorinator, right?)

5. OP
    OP
    s

Yes I did.

Anyway, I have a new question. My fish (ropefish) appears to be breathing fine, has no red gills, will move if the tank is poked, but he seems very passive. Is he resting? I know ropefish are nocturnal. Is there anything I can do to make him happier? Or is his passiveness and indication of something that is wrong?

6. shellieca

shelliecaValued MemberMember

He's probably still a little traumatized. This just happened yesterday? It'll probably take a few days or so.

7. OP
    OP
    s

Ok, I hope he's fine. Should I do anything to help him?

8. shellieca

shelliecaValued MemberMember

Does he look injured like he has any cuts or raw spots? He's eating? I'd just keep a watch on him because it sounds like he is improving.

9. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

I would do frequent water changes, like daily, to keep the water condition at it's best for him. just make sure you use conditioner and temp. match.

10. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

And get a quality liquid test kit, like the API Master kit. It is essential that you monitor your levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

11. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

My bichir got curious and swam into the vacuum tube and got stuck. Twice. I couldn't believe it lived considering what I had to do to get it out. In any event, I moved it to a quarantine tank to heal. It didn't move around much for a little while, but pulled through each time. They (and ropefish) are very tough so there's a good chance yours will. Just stay up on water changes - good clean water is what the fish needs to recover.

12. OP
    OP
    s

Ok thanks, this event happened about 2 days ago and now he is acting very lively again. Also, his gills seem normal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice