My fish has been displaying strange behaviour

SarahsFishys

My fish has been much slower than usual, as well as have a few puffy white scales near his head. What could this be and how can I fix it? My fish is a platty.

Heron

Are the scales sticking up and looking like a pineapple? Does it look cotton wool like on its head? . Have you tested the water recently? If so what are the parameters.
Is it the only fish in the tank? How large is the tank? Does it look thinner or fatter than normal? What are you feeding it, and how much? Do you know how old the fish is?

SarahsFishys

Heron said:
Are the scales sticking up and looking like a pineapple? Does it look cotton wool like on its head? . Have you tested the water recently? If so what are the parameters.
Is it the only fish in the tank? How large is the tank? Does it look thinner or fatter than normal? What are you feeding it, and how much? Do you know how old the fish is?
1.Yes, but only near his head 2. Not really. 3. Yes, everything was in the normal ranges 4. No, there are two other smaller tetras. 5. It is a 10 gallon tank. 6. It looks slightly fatter, but this could be due to the puffy scales on its head. 7. I’m feeding the regular amount of fish flakes which I normally do. 8. My fish is 2 years old.

Heron

It could be the start of dropsy. Unfortunately that's a symptom not a cause and diagnosis of the cause is often tricky.
He may just be getting old, if you've had him for 2 years and he was probably a few months old when you got him then he will be getting old now, plattys normally live 2-3 years.
The best thing to do if you think a fish is unwell but you don't know why is keep the water as clean and good as possible. I can't really suggest anything else, I'm sorry.

Top Bottom