Help My fish has a sore please help!

Beverlyymarsh

Reaction score
HI everyone I need some help with my little fish! About five days ago I noticed this swollen red sore on my Oranda Goldfish and so I have been watching it and trying to google to see what is wrong. Today it has a lot of white puss looking stuff coming out of it !!! He isn’t acting like he is in pain, and he’s acting normal to how he always acts. He also is eating just fine and playing with my other Oranda I have. He is in a 20 gallon tank and I clean 1/3 of the water every week and it is always really clean and i’ve never had any problems with my fish. Please help!!

Attachments

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
First your tank is really very small for two goldfish and should be at least double that size.
Second it’s hard to tell what it is from the pictures. Could be a cut that’s infected but seems too perfectly shaped to be that IMO.
Could be a parasite. Whalen was the last time you added something new fish or plant wise?
What are your water parameters and filtration like?

OP
B

Beverlyymarsh

Reaction score
saltwater60 said:
First your tank is really very small for two goldfish and should be at least double that size.
Second it’s hard to tell what it is from the pictures. Could be a cut that’s infected but seems too perfectly shaped to be that IMO.
Could be a parasite. Whalen was the last time you added something new fish or plant wise?
What are your water parameters and filtration like?
HI thanks for responding. I know I need a bigger tank but I had brain surgery three months ago and I had to move you to Minnesota for a while because my doctor lives there, so they are in the 20 gallon for now until life gets back to normal it was too hard to manage a big tank right now :( anyways I check the water twice a week and everything is always good. The filter is always running and it was a really expensive one I got for christmas! When I first got the fish in September he came with anchor worms, so I kept him separate from my other fish and I treated him and then I got rid of the parasite and he was all better. The first worm I noticed was in the same spot that his new sore is now, So in wondering if his sore never healed from the anchor worm and it had just gotten infected.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Beverlyymarsh said:
so they are in the 20 gallon for now until life gets back to normal it was too hard to manage a big tank right now :(
The first time I got into big trouble with my then-to-be-wife was about a week before we got married. She said "when things get back to normal," we should redo the kitchen floor. I laughed out loud and said, "Things are never going to get back to normal." I got the look, and suffered the consequences. In my defense, we've been married 35 years, and no, life has not ever got back to normal. But that doesn't mean I'm going to talk about it too much.

My first thought when I saw the photos was possible anchor worms. There's no way to be certain, but that's a possibility. I'd hang on a day or two and see if you can get a more certain diagnosis. One problem with misdiagnosing is you'll delay treatment for the condition.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
My initial reaction was anchor worm to but it doesn’t look like the typical anchor worm. Maybe the anchor worm is encapsulated in a mucous or slime coat. Try to remove the coating and see what you see. I’d bet the fish and very gently remove it with my finger. You might find an anchor worm. It might just be a cyst. Either way I think that would help you get to the bottom of it.
Best of luck with yours and your fishes health n

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom