my fish had babies! which fish are the parents?

cheesepuff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He is one of the several babies. They are super small still. I think its from the Black Mollies, but I'm not sure.

edit- could also be a platty

Baby fish.jpg

babynemo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The picture isn't very clear. Can you get a better one? It's hard to see the baby.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
At that age, it won't be accurate to guess with livebearer the baby came from. Wait until it matures a bit more and it'll become obvious.

You could also just look at the adult fish and see which one was fat yesterday and skinny today...

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Black sphenops mollies in the commercial trade are pretty much a single fixed strain. Fry are sometimes born without the black pigment, which will develop in a few days to a week. If the adults are Sailfin Mollies, latipinna and/or velifera, the genes can be quite mixed up.

I would say the fry is probably a molly, based on the elongated body. Platy fry, even when newborn, are deeper bodied relative to the length.

cheesepuff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I knew they looked like they were getting frisky. Lol. The baby fish will be donated to anyone willing to pick them up, or to a place that will keep them in a better suited environment once they grow bigger.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Honestly if you don't have homes for about 30 babies per female livebearer, every month, you should consider just rehoming your adult females and getting all males.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The adults more than likely ate the rest, live bearers like platies and mollies do that. Since you don't really have any plant cover in your tank (I'm assuming this is the tank you added the moss balls to?) it makes the fry really easy to catch and gobble up. They usually drop anywhere from 10-40 fry (closer to 40 ime) at a time.
Oh, it does look more like a molly to me too.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, looks like a molly. I generally keep all females in the tank if I do not want fry. The males in an all male tank hassle the other fish. I had a sword tail male do his best to woo a cory cat...... I must say though, the cory was a lot more active than usual trying to ignore the advances of the love sick sword tail

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Adult female mollies can drop well over 100 fry every month. 30 was the number I chose assuming most of them would be eaten
Thunder_o_b I once had a guppy that was madly in love with a baby L144 pleco, so I understand. Funny though, the guppy preferred that pleco to the female guppies

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If it happened quickly then no, they're just bloated. The pregnancy would take longer to get to that point....did they get this big all of a sudden?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom