my fish had babies! which fish are the parents?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by cheesepuff, Jul 15, 2015.

1. cheesepuff

cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

He is one of the several babies. They are super small still. I think its from the Black Mollies, but I'm not sure.

edit- could also be a platty

Baby fish.jpg

2. babynemo

babynemo Valued Member Member

The picture isn't very clear. Can you get a better one? It's hard to see the baby.

3. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

At that age, it won't be accurate to guess with livebearer the baby came from. Wait until it matures a bit more and it'll become obvious.

You could also just look at the adult fish and see which one was fat yesterday and skinny today...

4. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

I'll report back when they grow a bit

5. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

If it's a baby Black Molly it will be black, otherwise it's a Platy. :)

6. junebug

Assuming the mollies breed true, which they probably don't if they came from a petstore...

7. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Black sphenops mollies in the commercial trade are pretty much a single fixed strain. Fry are sometimes born without the black pigment, which will develop in a few days to a week. If the adults are Sailfin Mollies, latipinna and/or velifera, the genes can be quite mixed up.

I would say the fry is probably a molly, based on the elongated body. Platy fry, even when newborn, are deeper bodied relative to the length.

8. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

the mollies always did look a bit frisky

9. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

They babies are doing well. Will post pictures soon.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

11. junebug

Yes, that photo looks extremely mollyish.

12. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

I knew they looked like they were getting frisky. Lol. The baby fish will be donated to anyone willing to pick them up, or to a place that will keep them in a better suited environment once they grow bigger.

13. junebug

Honestly if you don't have homes for about 30 babies per female livebearer, every month, you should consider just rehoming your adult females and getting all males.

14. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

There only appears to be 4 baby fish. Is that normal?

15. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

The adults more than likely ate the rest, live bearers like platies and mollies do that. Since you don't really have any plant cover in your tank (I'm assuming this is the tank you added the moss balls to?) it makes the fry really easy to catch and gobble up. They usually drop anywhere from 10-40 fry (closer to 40 ime) at a time.
    Oh, it does look more like a molly to me too.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, looks like a molly. I generally keep all females in the tank if I do not want fry. The males in an all male tank hassle the other fish. I had a sword tail male do his best to woo a cory cat...... I must say though, the cory was a lot more active than usual trying to ignore the advances of the love sick sword tail :;laughing

17. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like a molly to me too.

18. junebug

Adult female mollies can drop well over 100 fry every month. 30 was the number I chose assuming most of them would be eaten :p
    Thunder_o_b I once had a guppy that was madly in love with a baby L144 pleco, so I understand. Funny though, the guppy preferred that pleco to the female guppies :p

19. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

Uhh oh. Half my platty's look bloated heavily. Are they about to have baby fish too?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
  20. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

If it happened quickly then no, they're just bloated. The pregnancy would take longer to get to that point....did they get this big all of a sudden?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice