My fish don't like to eat brine shrimp ,what should it do ?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by k3107q, Dec 4, 2012.

1. k3107q

k3107q New Member Member

Hi my fish are [angel fish ,guppies,tiger barb, cory cat fish] , at the first day when i had them , I feed them with flakes , after I finished feeding flake , I went to petsmart and bought [brine shrimp,and blood worm of san francisco bay brand] ,all of my fish love to eat them ,especially brine shrimp , they turn to crazy when i feed them that brine shrimp .But the price of that products not cheap at all [8$ for 3.5oz] ,so After finished that Brand name , i switch to other brand [Hikari ,and fish king ][20-23$ for 32oz] brine shrimp , but my fish don't like to eat it at all , they catch the food but they spit it out , I tried to feed them 2-3 days ,but they seem like they can stay hungry to die ,and don't like to eat that brine shrimp Brand .

Can any one help me ?

2. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

I've never tried the 'off' brands, but my fish always enjoy the Hikari frozen products. I feed it only occaisionally, though - like once a week - as it is expensive as you said. So, maybe buy the more expensive brand, but feed it less often - like as a treat instead of the every day diet. The cheaper stuff isn't a bargain if your fish won't eat it. It is just going to waste, which is bad enough, but it will also foul your tank with the uneaten food.

3. OP
    OP
    k3107q

k3107q New Member Member

So what do you feed you fish daily ? Flakes, and pellet ?

4. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

Fish are quite finicky eaters, What I do is I have their staple (New Life Spectrum pellets) and I treat them to Frozen Bloodworms (I think it's the San Francisco brand) and fresh veggies (which my snails like more than my fish!) a few times a week.
    If they don't like it then not much you can do about that :;dk

5. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Hi, k -

Here is an excellent website to look at where I order my fish food. I don't buy it in pet chain stores or any for that matter. This website is much cheaper, even including the shipping considering the amount you get compared to the amount in regular pet stores.

Guppies and Tiger Barbs would love Vegetable Flakes. It's a good diet staple.

Hope this helps. :)

6. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

I feed a lot of differnt stuff. I try to vary it a little bit every day. I use a variety of flakes, crisps, sinking pellets, algae wafers, microwafers, shrimp pellets - all kinds of things. I buy the small size of most products so that they will still be good by the time I use them up. There are also freeze-dried blood worms & brine shrimp in cubes. The fish you have should like all of these. It may take a day or two for them to get hungry enough to eat prepared food after they've had frozen food all the time, but they will come around to eating it when they get hungry. You can even skip a day of feeding before you introduce the new foods. Actually, I usually skip a day of feeding once a week. In nature, fish might not find food every day, so it won't hurt them.

7. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

Wow blood worms are expensive where you are :eek: I bought a male betta, Aquarium Adventure brand frozen blood worms, and small can of Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets at the same time at my local PetLand and paid around $12-15 for all, can't remember exactly.

I feed the blood worms once a week to one of my bettas and the cherry barbs, fast them all 1 day a week, and the other 5 days feed them their staple (the betta pellets for the bettas, and tropical micro granules for the barbs). My newer betta won't touch the worms, he doesn't even taste them & spit back out. I'm not sure he recognizes it as food, but I will keep trying just in case he changes his mind :) The snails in his tank don't seem to mind him ignoring them lol.

8. Zevyn

Zevyn Valued Member Member

I'm guessing those aren't of the frozen variety. Try a frozen product. Just fill a cup with tank water, swish it around until it thaws and then dump them into the tank in a quantity they can consume before they hit the bottom and repeat until gone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice