My fish don't get along Question

1. babybow Initiate Member

I'm new to all of this, so bare with me. I recently acquired a 10 gal tank from my brother, that had already been set up. The tank included 2 small pelco's and 2 tetra's. I than went and got a blue gourami and a fire gourami. I have done a 50% water change just a couple days ago, it stays pretty clean. Anyways I have been noticing for the last couple of weeks that each species seems to attack each other for instance my Pelco's attack each other, the fire gourami attacks all of them and the tetra's fight each other. Just tonight I witnessed my fire gourami bite on to the blue's fin and attack him for about 30 seconds until I tapped on the tank. I don't know much about fish but I do know you keep communities together. My LFS told me that these were all community tropicals and they are not aggresive, but all I am witnessing is them trying to kill each other. Please help.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Babybow and Welcome to Fish Lore. Ten gallons is a bit small for the fish that you have. Pleco's, depending on the type can grow to 18". Some species will only grow to 6". However, they are all large waste producers and wouldn't recommend them being in anything less than 29 gallons and then only 1 per tank.

Gouramis should only be housed 1 per tank as well. They will fight. I would seriously consider rehousing both Plecos and at least 1 Gourami to a larger tank or returning them to the pet store for store credit or exchange. You might get by with one Gourami in 10g. Sadly fish stores don't always give out the best information and knowledge. Remember they are in business to make $.

As for your Tetras do you know what kind they are?

Sorry to have to give you sad information but I only want what's best for you and your fish. With your current stock, I don't see you having a happy healthy tank.
    Best wishes!
    Ken

3. babybow Initiate Member

Thank you very much for your post, I appreciate it. I don't know what kind the pelco's are my brother told me they would stay fairly small. The tetra's are silver w/ black fins, and of course your right the pet store didn't say anything to me and I told him the situation. I had heard him giving the customer ahead of me advise so I just figured he was knowledgeable. So I guess the best thing to do is to get a bigger tank and or a second one. Well thank you very much for your time.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Glad to help. Keep us posted!
    Ken

5. theshiftys_jm Member Member

I had the same problem with my red dwarf gourami. He shares a 5 gallon with a crowntail betta. They get along fine. When I added a blue dwarf in with them, it wasn't the betta that ran the lil blue to death, it was the red dwarf. So, rather than mess with perfection, they are the only two that occupy that tank. I agree with aquarist, pleco's sometimes get lazy and don't do the job that they are supposed to to. I.E. clean the ruddy tank. Thus they produce more waste than they clean. I found this out the hard way as well. I re-homed my large pleco's and went with a small bristlenose who is a busy-body, tank cleaning fool. I keep him in one of my 55's.

I'm not sure why your tetra's are in a tizzy. As far as I know they are a schooling fish, so, not quite sure what is going on there, other than they may be angry about the small space that they occupy.

Don't feel bad. I think this aquaria stuff is more trial by fire, than anything else! *LOL* It's definately not an exact science. So don't give up, just figure out what works and what doesn't and go from there!

6. babybow Initiate Member

Thank you for the reply, so do the pet stores generally take fish in for exchange, even if they were not bought there? I am not to attached to the ones I have currently so I could take some out and take them to the pet store.

Also what is a good way to take them in to the store? All in seperate containers or is together ok?

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Baby. Some fish stores will take them from you and some won't. Some may let you exchange the fish or may even give you store credit towards another purchase. My local fish store will take back fish I bought from them but only give me 1/2 price what I paid for it. Best to check with each store in question ahead of time before disturbing the fish.
    If it's a short ride to the fish store they would probably be ok bagged together in a plastic bag. (double bag it to help prevent leaks).
    Ken

8. babybow Initiate Member

okay - thank you. Is there fish you would recommend for my 10 gal tank and if so how many should I only have in there?

9. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Hello and welcome to fishlore! A 10g is kinda small, so it limits you to only small fish species. You could maybe get a school of tetras (neons, glolights are just a few of the ones that stay small) and a few corycats.

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

your tetras are schooling fish and maybe should have more than 2. Also, I see that you know about the nitrogen cycle. Do you know if your tank is cycled? what the readings are for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? I'm wondering if the tank isn't cycled, maybe they are stressed and therefore acting up.

11. Snehashis Initiate Member

suggestion

It is normal that two pecos of one breed will fight with each other. and the tetras are schooling fishes, therefore they will fight,:;b.and the gouramis of one kind are the best for keeping.
    So you should keep only one pair of one kind of gouramis.
    As you are a begineer hence you should keep hardy fishes like pleco, molly, goldfish, guppy, one betta, etc.

12. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Sneha, welcome to fishlore. I would respectfully disagree with your recommendations of pleco or goldfish. The original poster has a 10 gallon, and both of those can get huge, way too big for a 10 gallon tank.

by the way, where is barrackpore? I was born in delhi. Is it close?

13. Snehashis Initiate Member

best fish for 10 gal tank

Molly, guppy or zebra danios are the best

14. babybow Initiate Member

Mommybaby, thank you for the response. I got the tank from my brother and he had already done the cycle. I left what he had in there and didn't change anything. The only thing I did with it was add the 2 gourami's and have done one 50% water change. I personally have not gotten a testing kit, but I am going to, now that I now a little more a bout it. I am going to try and get a 20 gal eventually but I have to do with what I have as of right now. I would just like something colorful, my 19 mo old loves watching the fish. Also I was wrong about the tetra's they are actually almost clear in color with red on them.

15. babybow Initiate Member

Tony G. I was looking at the glolights, from what the LPS told me was that it would be more beneficial for them and viewing purposes to have black gravel put in with differant lighting. I wasn't sure about going through all of that. They are amazingly beautiful and I would love to have them, I would just have to reconstruct my tank and if I were to do that I might as well wait until I could get a bigger tank and start all over.

16. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum!!!! That is just another example of the lfs telling you something to make you spend more money............

I would continue to poke around the forum in the different sections, you can also do a search by keyword and once you gather enough information then you can decide what additional fish or supplies you should get. Enjoy the forum and all of the information/experience it has to offer.

Best of luck............

17. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I think the pet store is really trying to make sales on gravel and lights. :-\ I had glolights in one of my old tanks with regular gravel and regular tank lights and they looked great. I know loads of other members have the same. You can always use lighting and substrate to make a certain fish *pop*, but it's not required in order to view them properly. Also, A background would work just as well as the gravel or lights. For a background, you could use wrapping paper, construction paper, etc. :;th

18. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

when you get your test supplies, keep in mind that the strips aren't very accurate. members here have had much luck with the API liquid master test kit. It is pricy up front, but will last longer - contains hundreds of tests. It is important that your ammonia and nitrites are 0, and your nitrates under 20 (some say 40), and without a proper test, you don't know the numbers.

I bought my API on amazon for much cheaper than the petstores around here. I saved 10 bucks even after shipping, and just got a notice this week that the price dropped another dollar.

19. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!

Great advice from others ...just wanted to welcome you :)