My fish died - is it new tank syndrome?

1. D

DeniseMichele Valued Member Member

Hi all,

My 55gal finished cycling 2 weeks ago. So 8 days ago I added 5 platies. All of them seemed to be doing well: their colors were getting brighter, the fins weren't clamped, they ate well.

Last night, one of them was acting weird. She was swimming slower than usual and staying toward the bottom and it looked like something was wrong with her mouth. I wasn't sure if she was just holding her mouth open or if she got injured some how. I looked up mouth rot but it didn't look like that to me. Her colors were bright and her scales looked normal, no discoloration fom what i could tell but she died today.

My water readings:
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 5
    Feeding a variety of omega flakes, bloodworms, shrimp pellets, and a little bit of spirulina flakes.

Any help is welcome. Kinda bummed that this happened. The other fish are acting fine and look fine, but now I'm worried about them. :(

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

How did you acclimate the fish when you first brought them home?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    D

I floated the bag for 15 minutes. Then for the next several hours I removed a little water from the bag, and added probably 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the tank water to the bag.

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Acclimation should not take more than a hour at most. I usually float bag for 15-20 minutes so they get used to the temperature of the tank. Then I slowly add about a cup of tank water to the floating bag every 3-5 minutes so they can adjust to the tank pH. I do this for about 20 minutes. Then I catch the fish and put them in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    D

Dom90 - Oh really? I didn't know. I thought that the slower the better. With that being said, could this be at all connected to my fish dying?

6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I usually acclimate for about an hour, either by adding tank water gradually every 15-20 minutes or by drip acclimation. I don't think that's related to your fish dying. I would guess it maybe got damaged in transport or was already ill. I'm sorry for your loss btw, even when they're new it still sucks :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks, Bijou88. I was pretty disappointed because it just happened so suddenly and I thought everything was going well. But, I guess these things just happen sometimes.

8. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

I agree with you, slow additions of new tank water, to prevent osmotic shock.
    Your fish very likely was compromised before you bought it.

I would wait for at least 3 weeks b4 adding any more fish. Your tank still needs to mature & as a precaution in case more fish fall ill. Besides with plattys they will spring fourth with copious amounts of offspring.