My fish ate a house fly.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Videos' started by striker, Apr 12, 2010.

1. striker

strikerValued MemberMember

Well on Sunday morning I was done eating my breakfast and it was now time to feed my fish. I noticed that one of my white skirt tetra's had a huge nasty house fly in his mouth. I was worried that my whole tank would get some bad bacteria of the fly but decided to see what he was going to do with it. After a while he took off the flies wings and legs by nibbling on it. After my white skirt ate the flies butt I decided to remove it since I started to think it could carry bad bacteria and disease.
    I will post a short video on the freshwater aquarium video thread.

Here are some Pictures:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. OP
    OP
    striker

3. pepetj

pepetjWell Known MemberMember

He'll brag about this catch for months to come!

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

4. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

So long as you havn't been spraying poisons or anything around it's no big deal for your fish to eat flies & other insects that find thier way into the tank. Mine have munched numerous flies, mosquitos & the Oscars even used to eat the occasional spider that was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

5. NarciciusWell Known MemberMember

As long as you dont make it a habit you should be alright.

6. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138Valued MemberMember

Fish eat insects, it's what they do. So unless you've been spraying for bugs it will be fine. Some hobbyists even cultivate wingless fruit flies to feed to their fish. I give mine all the flies I can swat, mosquitoes too.

7. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

I'm the same as ldbrown, whenever I kill an insect small enough for my fish to eat, I feed it to them :)

8. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

We have a fly in our house right now. All he has to do is fly into a betta or cichlid tank and it'll be "nom, nom".:p

9. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Yum! Looks just like my danios choking down live mosquitoes. ;D

10. Zenial

ZenialValued MemberMember

hehe striker.

Did he end up getting it down in one piece? What a guts :D

11. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

:animal0068:I've merged your threads since they are both dealing with your fish eating a fly.
    Thanks!
    Ken

12. OP
    OP
    striker

No because I took it away from him. I thought he was going to break his mouth.

13. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138Valued MemberMember

I have seen oscars eat feeder goldfish until the last fish is 1/2 way down and their gut distended to the point they look as though they will pop and still be chasing feeders around the tank. It is not a pretty site but fish are gluttons by nature eat today for tomorrow may be famine.

14. OP
    OP
    striker

I now come to think that is very true.

15. Crazy Crays24Valued MemberMember

I feed my 4 inch crayfish all the moths I can catch... he loves them

16. JustinF

JustinFValued MemberMember

That is cool I've never seen a fish do that. I wonder what would happen if they tried to eat a bad spider, like a brown recluse?

17. Trisomy21New MemberMember

Lately my Green Sunfish has been hanging near the top of the tank, which is odd. Tonight when I shut off my lights and left the tank lights on I discovered why. All the house flies swarm under the lights and, well he jumps out of the water and eats them live...So far 3 in a row haha, he's awesome.

18. JustinF

JustinFValued MemberMember

That is the coolest thing, it makes me want to go get some flies. It's not quiet warm enough here yet for our flies to come out ,but maybe in a month I can try it.

19. Fishnugget43Valued MemberMember

Haha.
    He Was FLY Fishing!!
    Hahaha. Get it??? :D
    :anim_63:

20. shadow2Valued MemberMember

Good one!!! LOL!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice