Help My fish are rapidly dying!

Thanassi07

Reaction score
I have three fish tanks (30gallon, 10gallon and 5.5 gallon) suddenly half of my fish are dead except for a few barely moving and breathing while floating, they were all fine less than 4 hours ago what do I do! I added Tetra Lifeguard general cure and im thinking on adding epsom salt.

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you provide more information? What are your water parameters/temps? Did any equipment break? What species of fish? Did you add anything new to the tank recently?

OP
T

Thanassi07

Reaction score
all nitrites, nirtates, ammonia, temp and ph is stable, my fish that died are 8 fathead minnows, 1 siamese algae eater, 1 firemouth cichlids, 3 corydora hasbrosus and a yoyo loach, my only fish that is thriving is a baby senegal bichir and recently I added the firemouth cichlid (around a week and a half ago)

Edit: I thought the yoyo loach was dead but it wasn't

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reaction score
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
Thanassi07 said:
all nitrites, nirtates, ammonia, temp and ph is stable, my fish that died are 8 fathead minnows, 1 siamese algae eater, 1 firemouth cichlids, 3 corydora hasbrosus and a yoyo loach, my only fish that is thriving is a baby senegal bichir and recently I added the firemouth cichlid (around a week and a half ago)
Could you fill this out for all 3 tanks?
Fish Emergency Template | 376562 | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health

mollywog

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Could the new cichlid have introduced a contagion into the tank? Are your fish showing any physical symptoms? Pictures?

OP
T

Thanassi07

Reaction score
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
5.5 gallon, 30 gallon (with only 25 gallons in it), 10 gallon
How long has the tank been running
5.5 gallon - 3 months
30 gallon - 11 months
10 gallon - 2 months
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
5.5 gallon - 1 alive betta, ? bladder snails, 1 ramshorn snail, 3 dead corydora hasbrosus, 4 alive corydora hasbrosus

10 gallon - ? bladder snails, 2 alive bumblebee goby, 1 dead bumblebee goby, 1 alive unidentified freshwater goby

30 gallon - ? ramshorn snails, 1 alive senegal bichir (baby 2.5 inches), 3 alive Siamese algae eaters, 1 dead siamese algae eater, 8 dead fathead minnow, 1 alive yoyo loach, 1 baby peninsula cooter (turtle) 2.7 inches
Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Every 4-5 days
How much of the water do you change?
30 to 60%
What do you use to treat your water?
Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Substrate and water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
(order is 30 gallon, 10 gallon, 5.5 gallon.)
Ammonia: .35 ppm, <.25 ppm, <.25 ppm
Nitrite: .25 ppm, 0 ppm, 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm, 0 ppm, 8 ppm
pH: 8.2, 7.3, 7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
once a day
How much do you feed your fish?
30 gallon - 8 sticks of hikari turtle pellets, quarter table spoon of hikari freeze dried bloodworms, 3 omega one shrimp pellets, half a teaspoon of aqueon slow-sinking cichlid pellets and half an algae wafer

10 gallon - one eight of a hikari algae wafer and 3/8 of a teaspoon of hikari freeze dried bloodworrms

5.5 gallon - quarter of a tablespoon of freeze dried bloodworms or fluval bug bites and 2 omega one shrimp pellets

What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Hikari, Aqueon, Fluval and Omega One
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
freeze dried bloodworms

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
From 5 months to 2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
this morning
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
not being able to swin straight like swim bladder and very lethargic, unresponsive to food, and partially floating like a pencil fish
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
All the fish are in 3 5 gallon buckets (one for the 30 gallon fish, 10 gallon fish and 5.5 gallon fish) exactly half full treated with Tetra lifeguard general cure with a 15 gallon sponge filter
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
A lot more active but still pretty bad

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

mollywog said:
Could the new cichlid have introduced a contagion into the tank? Are your fish showing any physical symptoms? Pictures?
I have thrown away the dead fish, but can send photos of the alive ones (I made sure they were dead, pinch test, no breathing, stuck at filter inlet or sunken)

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If fish in 3 different tanks are all dying at the same time, it very likely means something external happened. Most likely something happened to your water source, or something is in the air.

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I imagine the ammonia spike is from a test done after the fish passed?

New Threads