My fish are not eating food 180 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Surya Kant Bansal, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Surya Kant Bansal

Surya Kant Bansal New Member Member

It has been 3 years i have been keeping my oscars parrots and silver dollars and cat fish...i have never had this problem with them.Now what is happening that i have been feeding my fish with tetrabits and shrimps for the past few years....but now from a week or so after the winters my fish have become lazy and kinda slow in this week of summer......my one blood parrot has turned white and not eating food.....and the oscars are also doing the same they eat shrimps and go and lay down at the bottom again...the cat fish remain scared all the time and dont eat food...silver dolars keep themselves hidden .....i dont what is the problem with my buddies and thats scaring me...i need urgent help ..plzzzz.......actually i live in india so the test kits are not availaible here so cant tell you the ph level and nitrate level......i have been using a bodygaurd filter and a custom filter made by me....:;juggle And one thing more all my fish are getting dull and pale in colur...plzzz help.....
    2.jpe

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fishlore. I'm sorry, I am not sure how to help you, but someone else should be able to. I just want to say hi.

We have a very good family friend who lives in Chandigarh - I visited there last time I went to India. It's very lovely.

3. OP
    OP
    Surya Kant Bansal

4. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

And Oscar paleing out is a stressed one. When was the last time you did a water change and treated your water with dechlornator? If you can I would get a bottle of Prime to treat the water. Sounds like something in the water is stressing them out big time I suspect Ammonia.

5. OP
    OP
    Surya Kant Bansal

Thanks for the reply Chris....i did a water change last week .......dechlorinators are not available here can u suggest me some method of dechlorinating..plzzz

My fish are loosing their color..........and yeah there is a punget smell ...i think u r rite ....its ammonia...can u tell me how can i treat ammonia..????????
    1.jpe

6. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Water changes get rid of ammonia. I would start doing 50% daily water changes until you see things improve. You need to get a test kit so you know what is going on. Clean water is importent when you have Oscars. Clean water is importent for all fish. Oscars are messy and have a large bioload. I would stop feeding for a few days. Uneatten food contributes to ammonia poisoning. What do you use for a water source? Make sure your filter media aren't gunked up and rinse in bucket of tank water if needed.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  7. OP
    OP
    Surya Kant Bansal

i use normal tap water for water source...and one thing more i dont have shops in my city that supply ph kits n all so i have to guess thats it......plese tell me a biological method to remove ammonia...i mean development of bacteria that turn ammonia into nitrates

8. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I'm bumping this thread.

Are you able to order stuff online?

What dose your local fish store carry for water conditioners? We all use here in an emergency eather Prime or Amquel Plus when there is ammonia & nitrIte present. Water changes are importent right now. Have you done a large water change yet?

9. Meenu

Cheeku,
    Delhi has an aquarium society.  
    I know you are having difficulty in Chandigarh finding appropriate supplies. Maybe if you email DAS, they can tell you where they get their supplies, and then you could mail-order them?

10. OP
    OP
    Surya Kant Bansal

Ya sure ill email them then i can order by a post also.....:) :) thanks for the help meenu

11. p

potatos Valued Member Member

the dechlorinator is important because the chlorine kills your benificial bacteria, which are key to the nitrogen cycle and changing ammonia into nitrite into nitrate. without the dechlorinator, you will keep damaging your tanks bacteria and it wont cycle properly. this will cause ammonia which will stress the fish. do you know if your water supply uses chloramine or chlorine? if it uses chlorine, you can let the tap water sit in a bucket for 24hours to help allow the chlorine to dissipate, and adding an airstone will help too. if it is chloramine i dont think this will help, but it is worth a try untill you are able to get dechlorinater. i think this is correct, can anyone confirm/correct this?

12. OP
    OP
    Surya Kant Bansal

hey thanks for the reply...my local water supply uses chlorine.......
    1.jpe

13. Furallicah

You can age your water for 48 hours before using it. Just set out what you need and let it sit. That way the chlorine will be removed. It wont help a lot but it will help some. Other then that I would just try to get my hands on a dechlornator.

14. OP
    OP
    Surya Kant Bansal

thanks for the reply........ohk..ill do as u say.....

15. OP
    OP
    Surya Kant Bansal

but dechlorinators are not available here........

16. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

like has been said earlier, you can age your water by letting it sit out for a few days, that will remove the chlorine also, but i strongly suggest you get a water conditioner, even if you have to buy it online and have it mail ordered, its essential to help condition the water for fish to live in (detoxifying harmful chemicals, metals, etc)

17. Meenu

There must be some water conditioner somewhere in India you could have shipped to you. Contact DAS and see what they say. they must have a supplier. If not, there is a member in India named Jana - maybe you could send her a message.

18. Furallicah

I'll do a little research aka talk to my chem teacher. I think there is something you can use other then a dechlornator...but I cant remember for the life of me what it is....

19. OP
    OP
    Surya Kant Bansal

lol.....thanksss a lot buddyy.........

20. OP
    OP
    Surya Kant Bansal

can anyone tell me which food i should use to enhance the color of my parrots .........i am currently using tertra bits complete

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice