My Fish Are Gasping For Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

circulita17

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I recently upgraded my 30 gallon to a 60 gallon. All my fishes are gasping for air, I think it is weird bevause they don't go up to the surface. They don' seem stressed only my catfish at the bottom of the tank. I never had this problem in my 30 gallon. My readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrITATES, and 15 nitrATES. I have a fluval 406 canister running along with an airstone. The output from the canister is making a hard current and it moves my fishes aggressively. I don' know if that is good or bad. My tank consists of one catfish, one Mollie, one angel, and 3 great Danios. Thank you in advance for anyone who helps me. I have the output above water level to break more surface tension. If that helps

Here is my tank.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

RonJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Which is the water conditioner you use? I have seen this happening on over-dose of "Stress Coat+"

RonJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Have not seen on prime but when excess conditioner is in I have seen fishes rapid breathing and on surface. In my case it was accidental. Why don’t you do a 60% water change and only dose recommended and see what happens?

circulita17

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have not seen on prime but when excess conditioner is in I have seen fishes rapid breathing and on surface. In my case it was accidental. Why don’t you do a 60% water change and only dose recommended and see what happens?
You don't think it would be too much stress for the fishes? I upgraded yesterday and I know that stressed them out. I also added carbon, to remove impurities.

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Did you move the filter from the old tank or at least the media that was inside to the New tank?
If the flow from the canister is too high you can try pointing the spray bar directly at the glass...

(Beautiful set up btw)

AvalancheDave

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How did you do the move? Did you perform any type of acclimation?

circulita17

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok thank
Not if no drastic changes in temperature or ph in the new water.
Thank you so much, I will check on them after work. Hopefully all look more relaxed.

Did you move the filter from the old tank or at least the media that was inside to the New tank?
If the flow from the canister is too high you can try pointing the spray bar directly at the glass...

(Beautiful set up btw)
Yes, I moved as much of the bacteria that I could. I kept all my old media. I didn't want to cause a small ammonia spike and I tested the water and everything was 0 except nitrATES which were about 15. I moved the nozzle to point towards the middle since they were gasping for air. Once I notice that that have calmed down I will face it towards the glass.

Thank you so much! I love my aquarium. I can' wait to fully stock, once everything is normal I will slowly add new tankmates.

I didn' not perform an acclimatiom be
How did you do the move? Did you perform any type of acclimation?
I didn't acclimate them because everything even temp water was the same as in the old aquarium. I feel like I messed this up, and I feel like a failure because I see them very stressed. Should I add some stress coat?

Do you have an air pump?
Yes, along with my canister. It's a small air pump

Last edited by a moderator:

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Acclimation shouldn’t have been necessary unless the nitrates were super high in the other tank and non existent in this one... assuming your ph held steady overall in the other tank, all other parameters should be the same...

I would leave the tank lights off for now, leaving the room light on so not in total darkness to help them settle in....

How long ago did you move them???? Anyone acting happier????

circulita17

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Acclimation shouldn’t have been necessary unless the nitrates were super high in the other tank and non existent in this one... assuming your ph held steady overall in the other tank, all other parameters should be the same...

I would leave the tank lights off for now, leaving the room light on so not in total darkness to help them settle in....

How long ago did you move them???? Anyone acting happier????
I moved them last night, so they don' have long. I will check on them when I get a chance. I am working, all the fishes were alive this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 11 73.3%

Top Bottom