My Fish Are Dying Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by justintree3, Apr 25, 2019.

1. justintree3New MemberMember

Hey,
    My fish have slowly been dying off, and I don't know why.

The fish are dying one at a time, and the ones that die are sluggish and unresponsive for a day or two before they die. I have no idea when it comes to diagnosing diseases or fungi, I have no idea what to do.

Guppies seem to be faring the worst. Including pictures of the currently sick guppy, who we don't expect to last the day.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 55 Gallon
    How long has the tank been running? Just under a year
    Does it have a filter? Yes, HOB
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? 26.9 c (80.4 f)
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    5 Zebra Danios, 4 guppies, 3 platys, 6 amano shrimp, 5 kuhli loaches, 1 angel fish

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? At least once a week, to keep nitrates under 10 ppm
    How much of the water do you change? 25%
    What do you use to treat your water? Tetra Aquasafe Plus
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
    What do you use to test the water? API freshwater master test kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 10 ppm (today is water change day)
    pH: 7.5 (it reads 7.4 on the pH test and 7.6 on the high range pH test)

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Flakes once a day, brine shrimp and bloodworms alternating every other day
    How much do you feed your fish? Enough for them to finish in a minute or two
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Top Fin tropical flakes, Omega One freeze dried blood worms & brine shrimp, Wardley bottom feeder algae discs (very occasionally, for the shrimp mostly)
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Freeze dried

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? A few months
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today, but multiple fish have already died in a similar manner
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Sluggish, unresponsive, only swims when startled
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? None other than water changes
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Colours are not as vivid, fins are droopy and not fanned out like they used to be.

I included pictures of the currently sick fish, sorry that it's a bit hard to see, but I'm in an ongoing battle with the algae at the bottom of the tank.

Attached Files:

2. RSababadyWell Known MemberMember

Sorry to hear that you are having issues.
    Thankyou for giving all the details you gave in your original post. Very useful to understand your setup.
    My first guess is to ensure that your ammonia test is correct. If you are having a problem with algae, then you are probably having a problem with either ammonia or to much phosphates (btw, are you feeding any live plants? What and how much are you dosing?). Are your water test readings before or after the water change?

How big is your HOB, what do you have in it and how do you clean it?

3. justintree3New MemberMember

We do not feed any live plants, though there is some water lettuce that hitched a ride with the shrimp.

The test results are before a water change. The HOB filter is the Aqua Clear 70, with a sponge on the bottom, filter floss in the middle, and the biomax stuff on top. I rinse the media in tank water regularly. The sponge is a bit old at this point and could probably use a change (I do know not to change everything at the same time).

I do not have a test for phosphates. What would be the source of phosphates? Could they be coming from tap water? (I have tested my tap water too - ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all 0, and pH is 7.5)

Not sure how helpful it will be, but I managed a clearer picture of the currently sick fish.

Attached Files:

4. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Why is your water so warm? For the Angel? You are at the high end of the temp range for all other fish keeping it that warm. Especially the danios.

5. justintree3New MemberMember

It is that warm for the angel. I was under the impression that the other fish would manage at that temperature. I will lower it a bit.

6. !poogs!Valued MemberMember

I would start with temperature, bring it down to 76 ish.

Does the house have a water softener your sourcing water from by chance?

The glass algae doesn’t seem to bad to me.

Are you dechlorinating the water based on volume of the tank, or the volume of the water you are adding, or is it pre treated. Try switching to Seachem prime. It doesn’t have the slime coat additive for the fish, it just treats the water.

7. buttertartValued MemberMember

Hey Im so sorry to hear about this happening to you. If its not a cycling issue than maybe a parasite? When was the last time you got a new fish? It can take a long time for the worms to overtake the fish so its possible that they’ve had worms for a while and are only starting to lose the battle now. If your in the maybe States get some levamisole to worm them. Even if they dont have worms it wont hurt them. Good luck and hopefully its just a cycling issue.

8. justintree3New MemberMember

I turned the heater down, and now it's 77. No water softener.

I dechlorinate based on the volume of the tank. I have a bottle of prime, but for some reason I was under the impression that it would bind any ammonia that the fish produce and the bacteria in the filter might not be able to use it, so it could cause cycle problems (we actually used prime while the tank was cycling, because we bought fish before we learned about the cycle. We were dosing the tank with Prime for quite a while, and the tank never managed to cycle until we stopped using it). I have it on hand just in case of an ammonia spike.

9. !poogs!Valued MemberMember

I would use prime only for water changes. I always keep a rescue bag of zeolite if ammonia were to peak, never had to use it.

10. BettaBelieveIt123New MemberMember

Seems like the water is ok and the tank is well cycled. You can try lowering the feedings to every other day just for a week or two. Also if you haven't already, aerate the tank with an air stone or sponge filter if you have it. Not that I think you have an oxygen problem, I just find that really aerating the tank has so many added benefits. I would then go ahead and medicate with General cure, it shouldn't hurt your biological filtration and hope for the best.