My Fish Are Dying

Newbiefishowner

Reaction score
So I have a 65 gallon tank I jus recently switched to planted so I have 3 bulbs under not grown yet and a sword plant and long grass plant (plants are less then month) then I have 2 dojo 2 kuli 2 placo 2 male swordtailsome females 2 guarmis 2 zebra danio 2 leopard danio 3 city's and a mystery snail I've had them for about 4months and last weekend added a peacock eel... So the issue is in past 3 days my Molly died my baby Molly in and 2swordtails have all died I checked my water and my nitrate and levels are high so I did a partial water change yesterday and today another swordtail died and levels are still high I have nitrite filter things I thought to lower the levels but still nothing what can i do to keep from losing all my fish

Attachments

Newbiefishowner

Reaction score
Ok maybe this weekend when I go to town I can get that but what can I do in meantime?? I moved my baby Molly's and the breeding box they in to my goldfish tank but I have sword tails that will give birth Any day now and everyday another fish dies so what can I do

And my 30 gal tank with 3 goldfish idk if its safe for my babies bc goldfish are such dirty fish

And idk if it matters but I feed my eel live earthworms

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Where do you get your earthworms? I don't think this is it, but did you quarantine your new fish first? I agree that it sounds like a water quality issue. If you can't get a test kit until this weekend, I would change the water daily, at least 50% and use Prime.

pugletfan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do daily partial water changes. Do you have Prime? It's a water conditioner that also binds/detoxes ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours (up to 1 ppm combined ammonia + nitrite). If you don't have it I would get some . It's also quite concentrated so it lasts a long time.

I agree with the idea of getting the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It is very accurate and will last for years.

Newbiefishowner

Reaction score
My pet store where I purchase all my fish and plants from quartine the fish quite well so no I don't but the eel is the only new fish I've added before all this happened and what is prime??? I jus used the last of my stresscoat yestready when I did a 30% change..I live in country and town is a ways away so its hard to jus rush to pet store or walmart

motherofbettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Newbiefishowner said:
My pet store where I purchase all my fish and plants from quartine the fish quite well so no I don't but the eel is the only new fish I've added before all this happened and what is prime??? I jus used the last of my stresscoat yestready when I did a 30% change..I live in country and town is a ways away so its hard to jus rush to pet store or walmart
Prime basically makes tap water safe for your fish! You can order it on amazon All other water conditioners pale in comparison!
Just keep up with your water changes (maybe 50% daily) until you can get the test kit!

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Vigorously monitoring ammonia levels is of the utmost, critical importance, paper or liquid test kit or not. Gather what mandatory and what best tools that you can, (liquid test kit, Prime etc.) and start to eliminate any traces of ammonia as best you can, ASAP. Use thoe forementioned tools to so. What Prime does, is it removes any harmful chemicals and trace metals within your water column; essentially it binds the "bad" molecules together, and enables a temporary "shield" around your fish, to make ammonia and other harmful elements safe for your fish. Although do be advised, that Prime's effects are only temporary and only lasts between 24-48 hours, tops. It IS regarded by nearly everyone to be the very best water conditioner though. That being said...be patient and keep us posted please with your tank's progress. We're here to help, and have your back. : )

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom