My Fish Are Dying

Vbvenom

New Member
Messages
14
Reaction score
2
Points
3
I just got my tank set up a week ago I put 3 creek chubs in it a 55 gallon tank been 3 days they show no interest in eating. They stay laying on the substrait. 2 of them now started rolling on there sides and twitch. The 3rd one is staying behind the pump. I'm so confused as to what's going on. I did do a 40% water change yesterday the water was a tad bit hazy. I thought the new water would perk them up. Any ideas?
 

DaleM

Well Known Member
Messages
808
Reaction score
390
Points
98
Experience
Just started
A basic test kit isn't expensive, it's not a scientific instrument worth hundreds of dollars. $30 should see you with a kit, depending on where you live. Ammonia can be toxic at very low levels depending on your pH, etc and Nitrite even more so
 

DaleM

Well Known Member
Messages
808
Reaction score
390
Points
98
Experience
Just started
Vbvenom said:
Yea 30 is Alot of money
It can be an expensive hobby by the time you buy water conditioner, food, filters, replacement parts, meds if required, siphon, gravel, ornaments etc. A good test kit will last you a long time, they last me years as once your tank is cycled you don't need them near as often.

Cats and dogs are the easy pets
 

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
748
Points
103
If it were me, and I didn't have a test kit, I would do large water changes daily to see if that makes a difference in their behaviour. If it does then you know the issue is with your water chemistry. If it doesn't have any impact then that suggests it may be disease or parasite related (although it still could be water chemistry).
 

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
491
Points
83
Tap water often has ammonia, and almost always has chlorine. You'll need a conditioner at least. Less than $10. Fish store will test your water for free. Take a sample into the store.
 

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
748
Points
103
Vbvenom said:
Lol tap water has ammonia ok so no one dous water changes so in abut chell you cant have a fish tank unless you have well water.
No, most people use tap water but they add a product (like Prime) to declorinate and detoxify ammonia and nitrite. Are you conditioning your water before you add it in the tank? If not that's likely why your fish are unwell.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13

Vbvenom

New Member
Messages
14
Reaction score
2
Points
3
Well I guess you have to have well water and be rich to have a fish tank I'll take my last living fish flush it down the toilet and clean my tank and plant flowers in it for my girl. What a waist of of over 100 I already spent.

It really annoys me people can't be honest and tell others the truth before they waist there money
 

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
748
Points
103
Vbvenom said:
Well I guess you have to have well water and be rich to have a fish tank I'll take my last living fish flush it down the toilet and clean my tank and plant flowers in it for my girl. What a waist of of over 100 I already spent.
Hi, there are definitely ways to make this work. Prime isn't too expensive (about $15) and it will last years. If you absolutely can't afford water dechlorinator, they you could let the water sit for 24 hours before adding it to the tank. This would take care of the chlorine, but not the ammonia. However, in a properly cycled tank small amounts of ammonia in tap water will be dealt with by the BB,

If you don't want to keep the fish could you re-home it? Flushing isn't a good idea the fish will likely suffer.
 

DaleM

Well Known Member
Messages
808
Reaction score
390
Points
98
Experience
Just started
Or just take the fish back to the store, much better than flushing the poor thing
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16

Vbvenom

New Member
Messages
14
Reaction score
2
Points
3
Lol pump 22 declorinator 15 tests kit 30

When I bought my pump it was missing 3 parts it looked a little kit built it something I could of made if I had a plastic molding kit. Worth about 5 dollars if u ask me declorinator a pointless material takes nothing to make worth a dollar at best a test kit something that should be free there's nothing in it worth any thing exept the tubes keep those I have my own or can make my own.
 

DaleM

Well Known Member
Messages
808
Reaction score
390
Points
98
Experience
Just started
Vbvenom said:
Lol pump 22 declorinator 15 tests kit 30
It's what you sign up for unfortunately when you keep fish, otherwise they'll keep dying. A pet rock won't cost any money, I had one with a face on it when I was a kid
 

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
748
Points
103
You need to dechlorinate the water. Your fish will die without taking this step. It's none negotiable part of fish keeping.
 

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
942
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
Everybody's telling you the truth. It's obvious you don't want to hear it. You went into fishkeeping with zero knowledge of what you're doing, and you didn't ask anyone.
If you just set up a tank and dump water in without any conditioner or other means of matching the water to survivable levels, your fish will die. Accuse me of lying all you want, but it's happening in your tank. You just don't get it.

I hate to break it to you, and I'm sorry but it's you who killed your fish. You can point fingers of blame at everybody else, but you do have three fingers pointing back at yourself.

Edit: Out of morbid curiosity I looked at your profile. For the question that asked if you know about the nitrogen cycle, you said, "Yes." And you accuse everyone else of lying.
 

DaleM

Well Known Member
Messages
808
Reaction score
390
Points
98
Experience
Just started
Vbvenom said:
From the sounds of it you still are
We're just trying to help. You asked why your fish died and you've been given the answers. I was only joking about the rock
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom