My fish are dropping like flies!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Thetanknwebie, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Thetanknwebie

ThetanknwebieWell Known MemberMember

Three of my fish have died in 5 days. I don't know why? Here is a timeline of the past week:

Tuesday, August 4, 2015
    -Dwarf Gourami seems dull and reclusive.
    -Water Test:
    -Ammonia: 0
    - Nitrite: 0
    - Nitrate: under 30
    - Water change with prime.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015
    -Dwarf Gourami still reclusive

Thursday, August 6, 2015
    -Dwarf Gourami found lifeless inside Amazon sword. Observed bloating and raised scales. Moved to jar (floated in tank to maintain proper temperature) for closer observation.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439385062.131513.jpg

Friday, August 7, 2015
    -Dwarf Gourami found dead.

Saturday, August 8, 2015
    -Purchased from petco: Honey Gourami and two Panda Mollies.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439385143.181477.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439385161.232858.jpg

Sunday, August 9, 2015
    -Honey Gourami is skittish and hiding within the plants.
    -Mollies are picking at algae growth.

Monday, August 10, 2015
    -Accidental over feeding.
    -Observed all fish slightly bloated.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015
    -Observed F Orange Platy (purchased 4/19/2014) dead and stuck to intake strainer of filter.
    -Findings: slightly bloated, scales not raised, no signs of trauma, mouth open.
    -Water Testing:
    -Ammonia: 0
    - Nitrite: 0
    - Nitrate: under 20
    -Water Change with prime

Wednesday, August 12, 2015
    - Observed M Speckled Orange Platy dead in the same fashion as the F Orange Platy.

What the heck is going on here?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. jay275475

jay275475Valued MemberMember

I think I might know. Taking kind of a guess.
    Since you didn't say how hot your tank is and its summer could it have to do with not enough oxygen and/or when the fish go up to get flake food they swallow air?

3. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

If the only physical sign is bloating, you are either overfeeding with freeze dried foods that haven't been presoaked, or you have an internal bacterial/parasitic infection. You can treat with metronidazole(not loaches) or API general cure(contains Metro and Praziquantel).

4. OP
    OP
    Thetanknwebie

I have air conditioning on 24/7 since I live in South Florida. The tank is at 80 during the day and it dips to 78 at night.

How can I tell if I'm over feeding? There's never any uneaten food that sinks to the bottom except the day I specified on my timeline. I usually alternate TetraMin Flakes (Fed on Monday, Wednesday, Friday) and TetraColor Flakes (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday). On Sundays I feed Tetra Freeze Dried Blood Worms (presoaked in tank water).

I never see any stringy, white waste hanging on my fish or at the bottom of the tank. How can I know if my fish have parasites?

5. Sarcasm Included

Parasitic is usually easy to tell, with stringy poop and swollen belly or emaciation. It looks more bacterial than parasitic. As for overfeeding... The fish's stomach is around the size of his eye in general(some exceptions but good rule of thumb), so it doesn't take much to fill them. The 2 minute rule can be used, but for some fish like my Madagascar Rainbows, can eat the entire container in that much time. Your diet is high in protien and you should add in vegetable matter, either take a day to feed them peas(boiled and peeled), or let them pick at algae wafers. Fasting one day out of the week is good as well. So you could do Monday- fast, Tuesday,Thursday- Color flakes, Wednesday, Saturday- Tetraflakes, Friday- Peas, and Sunday-Bloodworm treat.

6. OP
    OP
    Thetanknwebie

Thanks so much! How do you suggest I treat this bacteria/parasite? How did my fish get this in the first place?

7. OP
    OP
    Thetanknwebie

Update: my remaining two platies are clamping their fins and staying behind the filter. My other fish seem unaffected. How do I treat them?

8. Sarcasm Included

You treat bacterial infections with antibiotics, Oxytetracycline, Kanamycin(kanaplex), and Minocycline(Maracyn2) are all good broad spectrum antibiotics. Kanamycin works better in higher PHs, while tetracycline is better in lower PHs. Tetracycline is sensitive to light, so you should turn off the lights while treating and you need to remove any carbon from filters. Follow instructions and complete all dosage courses even if the symptoms go away. Most the medications can be found at lfs under different brand names, but will be listed on the package. Metronidazole is also a good medication but do not give to loaches as it causes liver damage.

9. OP
    OP
    Thetanknwebie

Would API Melafix work?

10. Sarcasm Included

Melafix and pimafix are mild external antiseptic strength remedies, they are ineffective against serious and internal infections.