My Fish Are Constipated.

1. Alphafish98

Alphafish98 Valued Member Member

hello, can someone help me out with this problem, I notice my Molly fish them to be
    Constipated I just got these guys on Sunday and just notice this, they just have poop hanging from them, is there anything I can do to help them stop doing that? Do I need to stop feeding to let them Digest they’re food ? Or is there something I can give them? And if I do have to wait till I give them food how many days should I wait?

2. ELON MOLLUSK

ELON MOLLUSK Valued Member Member

Try feeding them peas that are not seasoned . Squeeze them outta the lil outside caseing. I fed my Molly’s strict pea diet for 2 days and they got better. Not sure of any other way. More than happy to hear of another.

3. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Are you sure they’re constipated and not pregnant? It can be that maybe.

Fast them for 3-4 days and if you can feed them either live or frozen daphnia, a natural laxative. Peas can work too.

4. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

Yes feeding them peas is the answer here. It will do the job well.

5. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

Where can I get frozen daphnia ? And okay I’ll fast them for 4 days and I don’t have peas at the moment but I’ll get some when I can. And no because I have a male Molly and he has it too, all 4 of my mollies are Constipated unfortunately. And thank you for the help too.

6. ELON MOLLUSK

Let us know if symptoms get worse it could be something else.

7. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

And one more question can peas be okay for snails because I got some mystery snails in this tank.

God I hope not. And will do.

8. ELON MOLLUSK

Heck yeah .

9. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

Okay good good I bet they’ll devour that in seconds just like everything else I give them XD

10. ELON MOLLUSK

Probably lol

11. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

You can get it at any petco/petsmart or your LFS. Brine shrimp works too. Can you post a top and side view of your fish?

It’s perfectly fine for snails, the mollies will probably eat them before they hit the floor. Lol.
    Also, try not to overfeed your tank.

12. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

I haven’t been these mollies just pick at everything in the tank so there’s apparently something there for them too eat. But I cleaned it well before putting them in. And thanks I have brine shrimp so I can use that save money. Thx

Do any kind of peas work ? Or is it a certain type of pea ?

13. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

You'll want to used frozen peas, not canned (due to the canned peas being packaged in salt water). Take a pea and put it in some water and microwave it for a few seconds to thaw it out. Then peel off that outer skin and cut the pea into pieces that will be bite size for your fish.

I had bought frozen daphnia at PetSmart in the past, but they do not always have it (at least the one near me). But you can also usually find freeze dried daphnia at PetSmart or Petco.

14. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

Thanks :D I’ll keep that in mind I wanna give my fish and invertebrates a large variety of foods keep em healthy.

Snap peas will do too right ?

15. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Poop hanging from them means theyre pooping. Theyre Mollies, its what they do. All the time. lol

16. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

Well everyone poops but it was the poop hanging was my concern. And you can never be to careful.

17. DuaneV

Mollies always have poop hanging out of them. Constipated would be if they werent pooping and were bloated. Mollies have a HUGE bioload. They are poop machines.

18. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

Oh. Well it’s my first time keeping mollies but I can still feed them peas right ?

19. DuaneV

Sure

20. OP
    OP
    Alphafish98

Sweet thanks