My fish are being attacked by a cat

1. Salz Initiate Member

Hi all....I could really use your help. 10 years ago I built myself a large 'stream' in my backyard that houses about 50 goldfish and tadpoles. I have had them for about 10 years and they breed well and i have never had a problem. Recently i had to replace the pond liner and prune the plants around the stream leaving the fish quite exposed. A neighbourhood cat has discovered the stream and has taken to helping himself to my fish at night. I had 82 fish and am down to only 50 now with 3 fish currently in a tank after receiving injuries during one of these attacks. I have researched this problem at length and everything I read says to put wire to stop the cats but this would need ALOT of wire as the stream is easily 15 mtrs long. It is breaking my heart to see my fish suffer like this. Does anyone know of any sure fire way to keep this cat away from my fish? I know roughly where the cat lives but not an exact location so I cant speak to the owners. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

2. Dan1 Member Member

I would say a BBQ gun but I'm sure I'd have all the cat lovers after me, how bout a live box trap, then you could see if anybody would claim it, if not you could take it to the shelter.

3. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

We had this problem years ago and a some nice catnip on the other side of the garden distracted the cat enough that we only occasionally had one go missing and never had any injuries. This was a natural solution but not a sure fire way to stop it occurring.

Good luck!x

EDIT: you could plant it or leave a some of the laced stuff away from the stream.x

4. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Id either trap it or shoot it.
    If you decided to trap it id give the owners a bill for the lost fish before i returned too.

I Know im going to get a lot a flack for saying id shoot it but i don't see why a cats life is more valuable then my fish and if the owners are not responsible enough to lock it up its their fault.

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

No way is the cats life more valuable than the fish.

However, I think all life is equally valuable. I am not giving any one flack as I think we are all entitled to our own opinion and although I may disagree with you, I respect your opinion.

But, if there is another way, please don't kill the cat.x

6. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Can you set up sprinklers at night to deter the cat? Is the pond too big for netting?

7. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Not sure how to keep it away when you aren't watching, but a toy squirt gun always seems to deter cats, dogs, deer, etc. away from things that I don't want them to touch. Just keep a loaded squirt gun by the door at all times, and if you see it, fire away, IME they eventually figure it out and don't come back.

Edit: P.S. Welcome to Fishlore!

8. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

If you could figure out a way to rig a motion detector to something that would scare the cat, such a sprinklers.

9. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

this might sound weird but do you have a battery operated train like the ones you put around a Christmas tree that make noise. We put that around the tree had it going 24 hours the first few days he would not go near the thing. Then it took just the train sitting there and he remembered it and would stay away. A motion sprinkler system might work or even a fog horn, see the cat and blow the horn to startle it it will get the message. Those sticky pads you put on your furniture attached to some wood around the area sporadically it a strong smelling smell might also help there noses are sensitive.

10. eds48 Member Member

You could put some type of screen over the stream/pond. anchor it tightly so that if the cat walks on it, it wont collapse. Like a tarp maybe? But I agree capturing it would be best. And definitely go find the owners if there are any and tell them whats going on.

11. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

wow that would be the normal problem i had a problem that could be a solution to urs. get a fish that will go after the cat

12. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You can get plastic strips with spikes on that cats don't like walking on & avoid, they wouldn't look very nice round your pond but they'd deter the cat.
    People here use them on fences & walls to keep cats out of their gardens

13. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

14. fishingdeep Member Member

I just use chicken wire around the pond and my feeders and it keeps the cats and the coons away. Keep us posted !

15. 19jimmy17 Member Member

You can replace all the goldfish with snakeheads(the fish, not actual snake heads) ;D

16. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Sounds like you need a dog.