My Fish Are All Dying!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by WhiteCloudMinnows, Apr 18, 2017.

1. W

WhiteCloudMinnows Valued Member Member

On March 7th, I bought three platies from Petco. I had never had problems before with disease, so I had stuck two of the platies (which were sunset platies) into my 26 gallon that had six White Cloud Mountain minnows and a ghost shrimp. The other platy (a red wagtail) was put in my sister's empty ten gallon. A few days later, both the wagtail and one of the sunsets had died. They both had been gasping at the surface with gills open for the last couple hours before dying. I hoped that that had been the last of it, but in a few more days then it killed one of my minnows. I had noticed the minnow gasping at the surface and had stuck her in the empty ten gallon with a dose of artemiss. The minnow died within an hour. I did daily water changes for a week, and when none of the fish got sick than I patted myself on the back. A month later (today), then I walked into my room and saw my last platy flouting around the tank, dead. She had one side of her gills that was red and inflamed. IMG_0229.JPG I've been doing daily water changes, my water tests fine, the only thing noteworthy is that my heater is to big for the tank, and until I get a new one, then the tank is at 80 degrees f. Instead of the much preferable 75. My other minnows are acting fine. Please help me; I don't want my whole tank to die off!

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

What are your exact water measurements for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate...for right now?

3. OP
    OP
    W

I just checked them with my API master test kit, and it looks like 0.25ppm ammonia (from the dead fish, I assume) 0ppm nitrites, and 20ppm nitrates.

4. APierce

Is there anything left in the tank?

5. OP
    OP
    W

Five White Cloud Mountain minnows, one ghost shrimp, and one (at least) newly discovered (like five minutes ago) platy fry.

6. APierce

Can you do a 75% water change, and do you know your tank's ph?

7. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, would you test your tap and tank for ph and post those?

What is your water conditioner?

Are there any symptoms before they die for a day or two? Lethargy? Not eating? Hiding? Flashing?

8. OP
    OP
    W

I can, and for the second question, then medium to hard, but I don't know exactly.

9. APierce

Can you test your tap like Cindi said? Also are the fish showing any signs of illness (the ones you have now).

10. OP
    OP
    W

I will in about half an hour, after dinner. I use API StressCoat. And for symptoms, then no. All that I know is that they touch their mouths to the surface and stay like that until they die. The newest death, my second platy, always hid all the time, and I was out all day, so I didn't see anything with her.

11. OP
    OP
    W

I will now, and the other fish are acting normal.

12. OP
    OP
    W

IMG_0235.JPG IMG_0234.JPG Here are my other fish

13. OP
    OP
    W

Ph of both the tap and tank water is 7.8. I would just like to mention that to me then this looks like gill mites, but I've never had experience with that before.

14. APierce

I am pretty sure Prazi pro treats gill mites and flukes

15. APierce

If not....then para guard would take care of them :)

16. OP
    OP
    W

Thank you!

17. OP
    OP
    W

I just finished a 50% water change. I also caught the fry and moved it to my sister's empty 10 gallon.

18. OP
    OP
    W

19. APierce

Aw, tiny little thing.

20. OP
    OP
    W

Yeah.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice