my first tank

Shelby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I've read a lota different stuff on the web.  Thought I would post what I got.  I have purchased a used 28 gal. tank. cleaned everything bought new bio wheel filter pump thing rated for 30 gal. and new heater.  Tank came with gravel and stuff.  I set up tank, filled with well water (I thought would be better than city water) after running a week (didn't know to add stuff to it then). I went to store and bought 5 serpae tetra's.  It's been 2 weeks with them, water test show .5 ammonia o nitrate and 0 nitrites.  I'M READY TO GET MORE FISH   should I ??

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
you're not cycled yet, your ammonia and nititres should be zero and your nitrates should be around 20, i know its tempting to jump the gun, but patience is every thing

Shelby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OK I'll try and hold off. I was thinking of adding 2 pictuc catfish and 3 or 4 swordtails, I was thinking of angel fish also. What ya think??

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
You have to be carefull getting anything with long fins. The Serpaes like to nip.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And the pictus cats will eat anything that fits in it's mouth. While your tank is cycling make a list of the fish you would like then research them on the internet as to needed conditions, and compatiablility.
I wouldn't buy any more fish right now, in about 2-4 weeks your tank should be cycled and you can add fish gradually.
Carol

Shelby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I held off buying new fish this week. Sunday tested my water 0 amonia little nitires and 20 or so nitrates. I think I'm cycled I need advice on tankmates for my fishes I have 5 Serpae Tetra's, (fin tippers I know now) would like 2 Pictus Catfish That should leave 8 or 9 inches of fish. Are there any sugesstions I could check out??

Golden Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Maybe 4-5 Tiger Barbs? they should be fine with the other Tetra and Cat. You would be maybe a tad overstocked but not if you keep up weekly water changes. I have 5 Tiger barbs and 1 serpae tetra (i know they belong in a school, long story) and the tetra thinks he is a tiger barb. He hangs out with them and they don't mess with him.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom