My first tank, I'm going to go with live plants need input!

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Last edited:

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

What kind of lighting is it? T8, T5, T5HO, power compact, incandescent? The actual output depends upon the bulb type. Your profile says they're stock which makes me think they're T8 (1" diameter long tubes). My quackulator says that you've got 1.45wpg (watts per gallon) of lighting, which is considered to be low light.

The banana plant is considered by some sites to need high light, and I've seen the same with dwarf hair grass. I'm not sure about the bacopa, but I've read anywhere from low to high light. Hopefully Nutter will be along to give his input on them. But you'll be fine with the java moss for sure.

-Lisa

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

What kind of lighting is it? T8, T5, T5HO, power compact, incandescent? The actual output depends upon the bulb type. Your profile says they're stock which makes me think they're T8 (1" diameter long tubes). My quackulator says that you've got 1.45wpg (watts per gallon) of lighting, which is considered to be low light.

-Lisa
Your are right my lights are T8
Thanks for you warm welcome and good advice.

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The wendtii was a great suggestion I will add it to my list. I might try the dwarf grass anyway I like the way it looks.

I will also be adding water sprite to the mix.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dwarf sag can be used like the dwarf hair grass if you plant them closely enough together, and the dwarf sag can do well in lower lighting.

-Lisa

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Where did the Banana Plant come from? I don't see that on the list anywhere?

The Dwarf Hairgrass most likely won't grow with your lighting. It needs very intense light, co2 supplementation & ferts to grow properly. It also doesn't do very well in coarse gravel substrate. You gravel will need to be 0.125" or smaller for it to spread properly. If it does somehow manage to survive with your lighting it will be spread out very thinly & be rather tall, not dense & compact like it should be. I also suggest trying Dwarf Sag (Sagittaria Subulata) as a substitute. You are much more likely to have success with it.

The Bacopa Australis should be ok but may grow a bit taller than usual. The Brasilian Pennywort will probably struggle at first but if you let some of the leaves make it to the surface it should do very well after that point. The Hygrophila Corymbosa 'Angustifolia' should do ok but it is borderline on wether you have intense enough light for it. The other plants will be fine.

Other plants that would do well under your lighting are Hygrophila Polysperma 'Sunset', Vallisneria Spiralis, Red Tiger Lotus (Nymphaea Lotus Zenkeri 'Red', Java Fern, Elodea (Egeria Densa), African Water Fern (Bolbitis Heudelotii), most Cryptocoryne species & any Anubius species.

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nutter

As for the Banana Plant it had been on the list but it was removed do to its need for high light.

I will be taking the Dwarf Hairgrass of this list but hope to have it in a tank some day. The info you gave me will be useful.

I am still planning on geting the Bacopa Australis and the Brasilian Pennywort. I will keep in mind what you have said about them.

I am thinking about replacing the Hygrophila Corymbosa 'Angustifolia' with Spiralis (Cryptocoryne spiralis). Would this be a better choice?

I also going to add Wendtii, Bronze (Cryptocoryne wendtii v. ‘Tropica’) to the list.

Thanks so much for you helpful input and suggestions.

Water Pixie

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crypto Spiralis would be an excellent replacement for the Hygrophila Corymbosa. Personally I prefer Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis which looks very similar to the Spiralis but has broader leaves with crinkled edges. Retrospiralis is also a little easier to grow. Either would do well in your tank though. Crypto Wendtii 'Tropica' is a beautiful little plant & should do well also. The leaves will only attain thier coppery colour if the lighting is intense enough & there is plenty of iron in the substrate. I suggest using API substrate fertilizer tablets for Crypto Wendtii as they have a high iron content & I've always had my best results with this plant using those tablets. If the lighting is not quite intense enough or there is insufficient iron the plant will still grow well but it will have green leaves with just a bit of the copper colour along the edges of the older leaves.

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
x to everyone for your help.

Nutter, thanks for the extra info on some of the plants I am getting.

The final list is:
Water Sprite
Retrospiralis
Pennywort, Brazilian
Bacopa Australis
Wendtii, Bronze
Wendtii, Red
Dwarf Sag.
Java Moss
Moss Balls

I can not wait until the get here and I can put them all in the tank.

Water Pixie

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crypto Wendtii 'Tropica' is a beautiful little plant & should do well also. The leaves will only attain thier coppery colour if the lighting is intense enough & there is plenty of iron in the substrate. I suggest using API substrate fertilizer tablets for Crypto Wendtii as they have a high iron content & I've always had my best results with this plant using those tablets. If the lighting is not quite intense enough or there is insufficient iron the plant will still grow well but it will have green leaves with just a bit of the copper colour along the edges of the older leaves.
I will watch for that. My well water is very high in iron so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks,
Water Pixie

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone I have another newbie question.

Do any of these plants prefer being attached to something rather being planted in the gravel?

Retrospiralis
Pennywort, Brazilian
Bacopa Australis
Wendtii, Bronze
Wendtii, Red

Thanks
Water Pixie

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hehe, anytime, and I forgot to mention that like Nutter said, you may want to consider root tabs for best color and growth in some of your plants. API and Seachem Flourish tabs are good brands and you should be able to find them at many LFSs.

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yep
Thanks, I am going to so how they do with my very irony water first.

Water Pixie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just a quick up date I have had my plants for about 2 weeks. The water sprite and Dwarf Sag. are growing like weeds, and the Bronze Wendtii and Red Wendtii are doing good the new leaves have a lot more color to them. The Brazilian Pennywort had a ruff start but is doing good now. The Retrospiralis lost all old growth the new growth is a lot smaller but it is a pretty color. The Bacopa Australis is still having a ruff go at it. Some of the stems died, and all the old leaves fell off. The only leaves left is the new smaller leaves at the tops of each stem.

I am very happy with the quality of the plants I received and with there growth.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad things are working well for you. The Bacopa Australis is a genuine high light plant so the leaf shedding isn't a great surprise. With some luck it will take & start to grow back but there is also the possibility that it will just die off altogether. It depends alot on what sort of light it was raised under & what sort of water conditions it was used to. I have found it to be a fairly delicate plant that suffers quite a bit from shock when environmental conditions change. If it dies off & you want a substitute try Bacopa Monnieri. It looks similar & still gets to around 15" tall but it is less demanding of light, being a medium light level plant.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom