My first tank! Betta and platys

lisa987

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I don't get this right since this is my first time doing this. I recently got my first tank (an Eclipse 12 gallon) and after cycling it I added fish over the past couple weeks. If you haven't noticed, I like a lot of color I have read on a number of forums that male bettas usually do okay with docile fish that don't have fancy fins, but I noticed that my betta sometimes bullies the platys. Maybe it's because he had the tank to himself for a week. So I'll have to keep an eye on it and maybe have to get him his own tank if he doesn't accept them. I still need a background and live plants, and eventually some kind of sucker fish. The betta is named Genie (because he reminded me of Genie from Aladdin) and the platys are Huey, Dewey, and Louie. I really love the Mickey Mouse head on "Huey."

If you have any suggestions I'd really appreciate them as this is new to me! Especially if anyone has experience mixing male bettas with other fish. One thing I noticed was that Genie seemed so happy when I moved him into the new tank (I had him in a small fishbowl for a few days while the tank was finishing cycling) and he loves to swim all over the place now. It makes me sad to see all those tiny bowls that they mark as being "especially for bettas."

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One of your problems may be the fact that he was the first one in the tank as he staked out the territory as his own and now sees the platies as intruders, but another may be that of all fishes, Platies resemble female bettas and could be misconstrued by the betta as other bettas. He is probably going to have to be seperated if the bullying does not stop as he will eventually kill or injure the other fish. I am so sorry that you went to the trouble of getting this beautiful tank together and are having all this trouble.

The folks on the Betta board could have told you to get the betta last but it is too late for that now unless you remove the betta to a small tank or new bucket for a couple of weeks (you will have to do 50% water changes every day) and rearrange the tank or redecorate the tank while he is gone and hope that he believes he is in a new tank when he returns and behaves himself. No gaurantees but cheaper than a whole new tank and perhaps worth a try??

Rose

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lisa987 said:
The betta is named Genie (because he reminded me of Genie from Aladdin)
He does remind me of the genie from Aladdin. Very nice pictures by the way.
Tom

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Since Rose has already covered the Betta advise...I'll just say really nice pictures and beautiful fishies!

lisa987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments everyone. I wish that I had been smarter and read up a little more before I got Genie. I just fell in love with him and decided I HAD to get him then, but in reality if I had waited I probably would have found another betta I loved just as much.

Thanks for your suggestions Rose. While it would have been nice to save money by trying to separate him out for a few weeks and rearranging the tank, I'm too worried to try that now because last night I noticed that Dewey, the red-colored platy that Genie chased the most, had a little "chunked out" injury on his side. I suppose that may have been from bumping into something but unfortunately I don't think so. Dewey is doing just fine and is as activel as usual (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll stay that way) but I put Genie in the fishbowl last night and I'm going out to buy him his own tank this morning. I would absolutely love to buy him an Eclipse Hex5, but I'm on a pretty limited budget so I may be buying a 2.5 gallon instead. I'll have to see about prices when I'm out.

Does anyone have suggestions for another colorful species of fish that would mix well with platies? Would 2 fancy-tailed guppies get along with them?

lisa987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Update: I got the Hex5!!! YAY!!! I found that Walmart sells the exact same Hex5 as stores like Petsmart except it doesn't have the trade name "Eclipse" and it's $30 instead of $45. I am so happy! That $15 matters to me since this really all starts to add up. And while I don't like to support Walmart for their horrible fish care (half of their bettas were dead and the rest were barely covered by water) I do appreciate being able to get a nice aquarium for an affordable price.

Genie will be so happy to have 5 gallons to himself! And Huey Dewey and Louie are swimming around so much more. Fish are smarter than I realized. It's like they breathed a big sigh of relief that the blue monster is gone and now they're throwing a party.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Lol.. well congrats on the new 5 gal! Make sure to post pics of it as well!
I'm sure your little blue 'monster' is going to love having it all to himself.
Very nice pics btw! Wish my little danios would stay still long enough for me to get a decent shot of them heh.

smillermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Good for you! I bought the same tank and there was very little difference between the 2 brands! A snail would be a nice addition with your Betta! Great tank cleaners and lots of fun to watch! By the way, beautiful pics and fish!!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congrats on the new tank!! And to answer your previous question, guppies would be great tankmates with platys. Your Platys are all males, so I would only get male Guppies to prevent against hybrids.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Your Betta and Platies are SO BEAUTIFUL Love their colors

lisa987

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments (as if I can really take credit for them ) I like the idea of adding a snail with Genie. I was hoping to get something to eat algae once it started to grow but I don't really trust him if I add otos after he's had the tank to himself for weeks since he's already proved himself to be pretty territorial. But I can't imagine that he can hurt a snail so that would be a good solution. Any idea of how much algae a snail would eat in comparison to an oto? And by snail do you mean something like the "mystery yellow snail" that I've seen at Petsmart?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To answer your question snails don't really eat that much algae while Otos are probably the most efficient algae eater you can get. Snails are also notorious for producing a lot of waste. However they are pretty cool. ;D Oh and to answer your 2nd question...yes a yellow mystery snail or any other mystery snail would be a good tankmate, as long as you don't mind the mess they make.

rajs

Valued Member
Reaction score
very nice pictures...good betta got his own hex 5 now....platys look very nice...put some male guppies...they will add fun...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom