My first tank, and my first post!

Angie

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I stumbled across this site when I was searching the net for answers to my fish questions. This site came up a lot, so I figured I would join. We got our first tank a couple months ago, the first one I have ever had as an adult. Its a tall 20 gallon tank. Our first fish was the dalmation Molly who gave birth to a bunch of babies a few hours after being in the tank. A lot of them were eaten, but I saved 4. When we went back to the fish store, more Mollies had given birth, so we rescued 11 more, giving us 15 Molly babies.

I love learning about them and sitting around watching them. I always thought fish were boring, but they really are quite intresting! They all have their little personalities, and its amazing how much time I sit and watch them.

Anyways, I look forward to reading everyone posts and being a part of this forum.

Angie

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
Carol

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore!

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome! ;D

youngest-fish-nerd

Valued Member
Reaction score
good thing,
youl find this sight saves you time and money,
isted of buying fish and learning from mistakes,
i ask the more experienced people and told me what i need to know,
welcome to fishlore 8)

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore!

Gwenz

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to fishlore. ;D we have a tank with platy babies in it ourselves.. aren't those little girls so cute, especially as they get older and behave just like the adults. our platy babies are shameless beggars just like momma. too bad they're the result of pet store inbreeding.. high death rate.

well, glad to have you joining us.. ask all the questions you want - we love to talk about fish and look forward to pics of those mollies & molly fry.. that's a beautiful fish and i bet the fry are super adorable. what are your plans for them and the future fry that you'll have?

sqeeker

Reaction score
welcome to you! i'm new too! this site is great so far!

youngest-fish-nerd

Valued Member
Reaction score

Angie

Reaction score
Thanks for all the Welcome's!

My molly's babies are all dalmation from what I can tell. I plan on keeping a few and getting another tank. I plan on giving some to my mom and there is a pet store that trades fish. I thought she may have been pregnant again, but i'm not so sure now.

My hubby brought home the 3 guppies, and red tail shark the day i posted this. I don't really like them, they have done nothing but be all over the other fish. I don't know what they are doing to them, but my male swordtail died. Conincidence, I don't know. Anyways, I think my female is pregnant by him, so I hope she is and that I can save some of their babies.

Angie

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The red tail shark isn't compatible with the livebearers i think. You need to remove them or all the fish, including the guppies will most likely die. They will be aggressive and eat smaller fish. Especially if you have more than 1. once the other fish are finished (or before) the red tails will turn on each other too and fight for domination. https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-RedTailShark.htm

You will get more babies from that molly. Livebearers remain fertile for a while and mollies drop fry every 25-30 days.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us! You will love it here!

Angie

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning on the red tail. I will keep my eye on him. So far, it really does just keep to itself, and its tiny.

My female swordtail had her babies! About 25 I think. Will they be ok in the breeder net with my 3-4 week old mollies?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Angie said:
Thanks for the warning on the red tail. I will keep my eye on him. So far, it really does just keep to itself, and its tiny.
My female swordtail had her babies! About 25 I think. Will they be ok in the breeder net with my 3-4 week old mollies?
I think they should be fine together. nobody's big enough to eat anyone else.

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
welcome angie to fishlore! i've just got guppy fry!! they are so exciting! good luck with your mollies! what are you feeding them? baby brine shrimp are ideal for their tiny mouths and tiny tummys and make them grow quick! also plenty of lighting is meant to make them grow big and healthy (but not all the time! they need about 8 hours dark time to rest). have a look on the diy board at a cheap and easy way to raise your own brine shrimp. your can get the eggs from ebay if your local fish shop doesnt have them. they are very cheap. i bought a bag for about £3 including post and packing and i've got loads left as only use about half a teaspoon twice a week! it shouldnt poolute your water either like flake/liquid foods do as they are live they dont decompose like powder/liquid foods do!
any questions just ask!
tan

Angie

Reaction score
thats vwery intresting. I haven't fed any of my fish any shrimp. I give them flakes and blood worms from time to time. I feed algea wafers and shrimp pellots sometimes too. The new babies are not eating as well as the mollies did, but they are all in that net and all still alive.

Angie

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Angie said:
thats vwery intresting. I haven't fed any of my fish any shrimp. I give them flakes and blood worms from time to time. I feed algea wafers and shrimp pellots sometimes too. The new babies are not eating as well as the mollies did, but they are all in that net and all still alive.

Angie
For our platy fry, we took different types of fish flakes and pellets, put them in a plastic baggy, folded it over & crushed them with a rolling pin. Put that in a little rubbermaid container that we feed them from.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom