So I figured I would start one of these threads to track my first tank build. Just so I can see my progress or how it changes over time. Also if anyone has any suggestions or advice, I’d appreciate that too. I’m currently running a fishless cycle in a Fluval Spec V which is 19l or 5g. I plan to house one betta and two ghost shrimp. Does that stocking sound okay? I set it up on the 12th of May. I added pet store brand small black gravel and a plastic aquarium log/hide. I didn’t add an ammonia source until the next day, which was fish food. I also added some java moss and salvinia. I also added a sponge to the outflow so everything wouldn't be churned around. Over the next couple of days I ordered some more plants/decorations. I got some shrimp hides with marimo on them. And then a small piece of bogwood with anubias nana, java moss and java fern on it. Lastly, I got some frogbit. The salvinia and frogbit have grown loads. One cup of tropica java moss that I got seemed to be doing well but the other cup (seen to the left of the hide) seems to be dying. I think though there -might- have been some mould on it before I put it in so maybe I shouldn't have. Anyway, when I noticed it seemed like it wasn't doing well, I did some research and realised it might do better if it had something better to latch on to. So I got some plastic canvas and cut to the shape I wanted, took out the java moss and after drying it off some on a tissue, I super glued it to the plastic canvas. Honestly, it wasn't a great plan because I didn't think about the fact it would float. I was able to weigh it down with the gravel but to be honest some of it has started coming away from the plastic. I'm going to leave it though and see how it does. If it fails then I'll get more and attach it to stones around the base of the hide instead. Something that did go a little better though, I had bought another pot of java fern by tropica and attached it to the hide. It took really well and I really like how it looks. Today I scooped out a bunch of the salvinia because wow, does that sucker grow! It felt like a waste to throw it away but needs must. You can see some of the glue on the java moss but I hope over time that will be less noticeable. Another little modification I've done is make a little grating for the intake using plastic canvas and mesh, to make it more shrimp friendly. I just slotted it into place for now. There's another intake further down and I made a grating for it too but I haven't put it in yet. As for my cycle, it's still super early days. I started of with fish food as an ammonia source, as I said but I switched to liquid ammonia instead. Then I had a big mishap in which the ammonia levels skyrocketed over 8ppm and the water turned black in the test tube. I did a big water change and got it back under control. Since then the ammonia levels have been fluctuating between 1ppm and 0.25ppm. No nitrites or nitrates yet. I added some more liquid ammonia today and again, added more than I really wanted to but the ammonia level is now between 4ppm and 8ppm. Last time I kind of freaked out it might kill my plants but this time I'm going to sit tight and see what happens. I also got some aquascape fertiliser for the plants, so hopefully they benefit from that as well.