My First Tank 30 gallon long tank

1. ivonko Member Member

Hey guys i just got my first tank and started setting it up.

stats
    Dimensions: 36x16x12
    Lighting: 2x t5 36" flourecent bulbs custom fit from home depot
    substrate: eco-complete black, 40 lbs
    heater: fluval 200 watts
    filter: aqueon 30 going to get an additional aqueon 30 to cycle out charcoal packets to avoid mini cycles
    Misc.: 1 bubbler w/ air stone
    plants: 2 microsword bushes, one unknown bush from brazil area (either tropica or brazilian sword)
    fish: none at this time because it is cycling, but hoping to get the following
    4-8 tiger barbs
    4-8 zebra danios
    1 rts
    1 crayfish or yabbie

15702329_large.jpg
    15702330_large.jpg
    15702331_large.jpg

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Looks nice! I've had my eye on those arch ways for a while. I have a pagoda, but I need to replace it. Its old and the snails ate the paint off :;nin2

I'd not get a shark. They need not room, and are little brats if they don't have that room. However, I think 8 Danios and 8 Tiger Barbs and the cray should be fine. :)

3. ivonko Member Member

thanks i got the arch with the tank so i figured why not use it lol. the paint is slowly coming off but im not going to have snails so i hope i can preserve it as long as possible.
    im going to try the shark, if he is too agressive I'll take him back and replace him with some thing more peaceful. i cant have too calm of fish though because between the barbs, danios, and crayfish anything peaceful or slow will be very quickly weeded out lol

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Its not really so much as then being aggressive as it is them needing such a large territory. Not having a large enough space makes them go crazy, and many people have had issues with them bullying tank mates to death. I think, since you've got the space, add some nice rocks, and make caves, and get another cray :)

5. ivonko Member Member

i will be sure to keep an eye on that. if it starts getting overly aggressive i already talked to my lfs and they said they will happily take it back as long as its healthy

crays are awesome only thing i worry about is that sometimes they stay within there growth parameters but sometimes they explode in size. otherwise i would totally get two. think it will go to town on my live plants?

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Back up plans are always the way to go :)

I'd get those cool blue crays! I think they usually stay about 5 inches? Could be wrong, though. Crays eating the plants is a definite possibility. May of may not happen. Most people either keep plastic plants in with them, or no plants at all.

7. ivonko Member Member

i would love to own an electric blue cray, but the thing i said about them growing extensively is unfortunantly about the blue cray, a guy i know had one knowing it will grow to 6 inches, it grew to 11 inches, ate all of his bottem dwellers then crawled out of the tank one night and died on the flore lol. it was a bummer because it was an amazing looking creature. i will see what is available though. may start with a common craw fish in case i have a mini cycle so that i dont waste 35 dollars. then when i have a bit more experience get a blue cray.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Quite strange...!

9. ivonko Member Member

how long would you guys suggest i cycle my tank with no fish before adding them? its been running for 3 days now. i was thinking to add a few danios next monday is that too early or will it be enough time for the tank to build up some bio filtering?

10. orandagal Member Member

Welcome Ivonko and your tank is very, very nice! I'm fairly new to keeping fish properly, although I've had fish for numerous years and done things incorrectly, and have discovered by joining forums such as this and a few others I'm learning all the time. One thing that cannot be stressed enough is read, read, and read somemore. This is a great site for wonderful information, and great group of folks that are always willing to give a helping hand :D First thing that was offered to me was read all about cycling. Since you don't have fish right now, I would go with cycling "without" fish. As mentioned, I've done things wrong for quite a while but was determined when I got my new 29 gallon in January I was going to do it right and I'm so grateful that I took the time to learn about the things I was doing wrong. Another thing that must be stressed is "patience" (which I have none of) It took my aquarium right at 6 weeks to fully cycle and then I added my fish, and most will tell you "fishless" is a better way to go. You won't have to stress about killing your fish thru the cycling process. I would hold off on the fish, read about the cycling process and ask as many questions as you need to-we don't mind and I know you will enjoy your new hobby :D

11. ivonko Member Member

thank you, i knew i had to cycle for a few more weeks but really needed somebody else to tell me it to force me to wait haha. im also the type of person that cannot wait for anything thats why this whole cycling thing is killing me. thank you for the warm welcome it is very appreciated.

i will hold off on purchasing fish for as long as my very very short patience will allow hopefully a few weeks. i also need to get some ammonia from the store to begin building up the bacterial population.

my tank numbers (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) have been all at 0/0/0 but i think that is because i havent introduced any ammonia yet. i will continue asking new guy questions till i am able to answer questions myself haha

thanks

12. ivonko Member Member

hey guys made a small biofilter for my aqueon filter. does it look ok or too restricting?
    IMG_20120410_124103.jpg
    basically bought one biofilter sponge and cut it in half so it would fit behind the original filter. it doesnt seem to bar water flow... im not sure if it will be effective or not. please let me know what you all think!
    IMG_20120410_123550.jpg

13. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Naw, looks alright :) I do that in my AquaTecks.

14. ivonko Member Member

sweet. i was just worried about water flow. just ordered my second filter to. aqueon 20. because the secondary hole in my hood wouldnt fit my 30 i realized i will need something smaller. hoping the 20 fits perfectly. that will put me at 325 gallons per hour 30=200 20=125, this puts me at a good level for filtering. also picking up ammonia solution tonight on my way home from work so gonna start doing some hardcore cycling lol

15. iRun Member Member

Very cool aesthetic! The black and red together totally rocks!

Plants!!! Load it up with plants! :p

You're extra biofilter seems fine.

Cycling...with no fish, no fish food, or actual ammonia, the tank hasn't even begun to cycle. Since you don't have anybody living in there, you have a great chance to research and roll the fishless cycle.

This tank is gonna be awesome!

Since I posted tight after you, you beat me to the fishless cycle thing!

I'll be watching this tank for sure :D

16. ivonko Member Member

thanks man i really appreciate it! i would load it up with plants but im afraid i lack the lighting to do that. im going to begin the fishless cycle tonight with the ammonia i buy after work in 2 hours lol.

hoping my patience can last long enough for the fishless cycle

i need a way to add caves for my crayfish i want but i need it to be very subtle, any ideas?

17. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Hmmmm.... Terra cotta pots, layers of slate, big river rocks.... None very subtle, I guess, though lol

18. ivonko Member Member

thinking maybe dark colored slate propped up my stones? also considered pvc pipe just in the far back corner out of the way but that would just look ugly lol. ill try to think of something. maybe i can make a slate cave under one of my existing structures.

lol maybe thats what ill be busy figuring out while the cycling drags on

19. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You can roll PVC and terra cotta pots in silicon and then a gravel of your choice, stick some plants on there, even... :)

20. ivonko Member Member

oh i may totally do the pvc with a gravel cover. then cut out a viewer window in the side and half submerge it in the back.... your awesome man. thank you so much. thats totally what im doing now lol