My first tank (20 gal)

Gamer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Greetings all,

I'm a brand new fish keeper from Florida. I just got my first fish tank today as a birthday present. It's a 20 gal which I plan to turn into a community tank and it came with a Penguin Power Filter and some kind of heater. I hope that will do for now. Of course I plan to upgrade these things as I learn more about fish tank equipment and fish species in general. That's why I'm here!

I've been reading the board this past week and I see many knowledgable fish keepers here whose posts I hope to learn more from in the coming weeks and months.

So far I've just got the gravel in the tank, I should buy the plants and driftwood this weekend. I treated the tap water with a water conditioner known as "AquaSafe". Hopefully that's a good one, or good enough at least.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. This is my first post, I hope to learn from you all and remember, I'm a newbie so be gentle! lol

Oh and by the way, in a couple weeks I plan on adding platies, swordtails, corys, 1 pleco, dwarf gourami's and neon tetra's...but not all at once of course.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore

I use that water conditioner and have had positive results. Sounds like a good filter too.

Make sure your tank is cycled before adding the fish, but a test kit. A good one is aquarium pharameuticals, liquid test kit.

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hI welcome to fishlore!! hey plecos grow up to 18 inches, they r not suitable for a 20 gallon tank, u can get a bristlenose pleco; they grow up to 5 inches only.

OP
Gamer

Gamer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks guys. I am going to Pet Supermarket today to look for a good test kit to start testing the water. If I can't find a good one I suppose I will use the bigalsonline site which I've heard good things about.

Yeah, a bristlenose pleco is what I meant. Not a common one. When I get my 55 gal I plan to get a common pleco along with a few angels or maybe one oscar...probably a few angels. Again, thanks.

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah, angels r cool, u can keep only one oscar in a 55 gallon tank but u can keep 4 or 5 angels in that same tank. I have 8 baby angels.

wolfman21

Reaction score
The Aquasafe is an excellent water conditioner, works for me well. Have fun upgrading things-that's the fun of being a fish owner! Anyway, welcome.

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
welcome to fishlore! I love bristlenose plecos!!!! I have 3 of them!
any questions let us know!
tan

OP
Gamer

Gamer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll definitely have many questions later on. Thanks.

Tank is currently cycling. I've got blue gravel, 5 (immitation) plants in it, along with one rock. All I need now is a good decoration that the fish can swim through or hide in if needed.

I think I've changed my mind about the fish I want to get. I've been reading up on species and I'm thinking for a 20 gal I may get tiger barbs (6), cherry barbs (6), corys (3-4) and a bristlenose pleco.

Maybe a mystery snail later on, but I hear they can multiple like wildfire.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would stay away from the tiger barbs, they get 2.5" and are very aggressive. I would not get the cories either or not a bristlenose. The BN pleco produces a lot of waste and depending on the species they can get 4-6". Maybe something more like 6cherry barbs and 1 bristlenose pleco and a few male guppies to add something else. That would be pushing it.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would suggest not getting a mystery snail with any aggressive or curious fish that can get to a decent size (like the tiger barbs). My poor mystery snail was never allowed to be on its foot, because my fish kept knocking it over as they explored the bottom of the tank or just pushed it for the sake of seeing what would happen.

OP
Gamer

Gamer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I see. Well, I've got a couple weeks to think about all of it. The tigers are not etched in stone yet. I thought I could keep tiger barbs in a group of 6 and be okay but maybe not.

I am definitely leaning toward the cherries and if I were pressed to choose between the cories or a bristlenose, I'd get the BN hands down. Maybe cherries with green or black swordtails, possibly neons (if there is room after those two species) and a bristlenose.

I'm determined to select them wisely before adding them in! I'm tempted to get one betta and a snail.

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
Welcome to fishlore. What are you cycling your tank with? Do you have any fish in the tank now, or are you using ammonia, or fish food? You have to 'feed' the ammonia to the developing bacteria.
It sounds like you are taking it easy for the best chance to have a good first tank experience. Most choices on fish end up being a persons personal expression of their own personality, just be sure before you buy that you research what you want so it does fit YOU, and won't out grow your tank.
The rule of thumb to start is not more than 1" of adult fish per gallon. That is, if you buy a baby fish that will grow to 3", you have to allot 3 gallons of your tank for planning purposes.

I am with ATM, I wouldn't intentionally get any fish that are known to be aggressive for a community tank, as they end up nipping other fish, and bothering them until the other fish are stressed into ill health. Just my philosophy, I like a tank that is peaceful. Best of Luck.

Fish in the Frozen North. 8)

OP
Gamer

Gamer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey susitna,

I am using pure amonia. I thought about cycling with zebra danios or white clouds since I'm anxious to get some fish, then I thought about using fish food or a piece of raw shrimp but I read this is the best way and wanted only the best for my first tank.

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
Great! That was what I was hoping to hear. One point of view on what to stock your tank with is to have corys to clean up left over food, otoes to clean algae and some sort of interesting fish to live,eat in mid tank. All of these fish have their different lifestyles. Cory cats need to have at least 3 of the same kind to be happy. Otoes are very small and a 20 gal would need 3 or 5 to do a passable job on algae. Cardinal tetra are lovely, but you need 9 or more to have a continted school, and then I would only get neons or cardinals after your tank is WELL cycled. They seem to be particularly tender to bad water conditions, but once established in a healthy tank, they are a really flashy schooling fish. The problem with all this is that because you count the 1" of adult fish per gallon of tank, this would have a 20 gallon tank overcrowded already! 20 gallon tanks are tempting, they are large enough to want to have more than 1 betta, but to small for a diverse community tank.
Let us know what you decide! It is almost as fun to follow someone else's tank building as doing it myself, I just love the planning stages!

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
yeah, i'm wary of tiger barbs. i've heard their aggression is usually a problem. tetras are fine as long they are in a group, but tigers just seem to have an attitude problem!!! i've heard the cherrys are peaceful though. if you have otos/pleco they'll deal with the algae and are very peaceful and cories will eat up any leftovers, so with a clean up team along those lines the snail will be redundant! I don't know much about mystery snails, but pond snails can breed unbelievably fast!!!!! I have hundreds :! guppies and platties etc are good for colour. make sure you acclimate the guppies really slowly though. I seem to have problems keeping them alive past a week.....although I seem to manage tetras fine ???!!! through experience you'll work out what you can and can't handle! i've learnt to not buy guppies again!!
keep us posted on your choices! hope the cycling is going well!
tan

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just a thought to what sustina flower said, I like the combination of a BN pleco and a few oto's. BN cleans up leftover food and algae and the oto's get the hard to get algae and brown algae, though I like cories too.

Bonochick

Well Known
Reaction score
I had 1 tiger barb by himself, and he was a real sweetheart. I never saw him picking on anybody. I guess I was lucky.

New Threads