My first stressful 24 hrs of Cherry Shrimp keeping - Page 2

GlennO

So the little shrimp tank I decided to set up was cycled so yesterday I head off to the LFS to get some Cherry Shrimp. I decided to get yellow ones and got 2 females and 3 males. $55 for 5 of them, yikes! Oh well, lets hope they survive and multiply! I get them home and in the tank and immediately they are zooming everywhere, stopping momentarily to feed on a shrimp pellet. Cool!

Then today I notice a dead one on the bottom. Dang. 4 left. A few hours later and I can only count 3. I shifted filters, rocks, plants but still can only find 3. I'm thinking they are probably all going to die soon. Then I notice 2 more shrimp clinging on to the silicone way up top in the back corner of the tank. Huh? So I still have 5? Turns out the 'dead' one was just a molted shell. It seems that I had a shrimp molt after less than a day in the tank.

So right now I'm feeling quite relieved. But hoping tomorrow is a little less stressful for this novice RCS keeper!

Btw they are quite sedate now compared to yesterday. Is it normal for them to be hyperactive when first introduced?

richiep

How long have you had those shrimp, the ones that died or how old were they

Upvote 0

GlennO

How long have you had those shrimp, the ones that died or how old were they

I think they were 2 of the originals from about 4 months ago. I'm guessing they would have been a couple of months old when I bought them.

Upvote 0

richiep

Unless you have shrimp diying on a regular basis its hard to determine whats happened,

Upvote 0

GlennO

Yep I'll wait and see if there's any more deaths. How do I know if I'm feeding them enough? I find it harder to gauge than with fish. That's why I keep adding leaves. I figure if I'm not feeding enough they at least have the leaves to munch on.

Upvote 0

richiep

They will find a lot of food in the tank naturally like biofilm but its important to supplement their diet so they get the minerals and calcium
With 80 you can feed every other day with 3 pellets mulberry leaf 1 a week if they disappear quick, cooked broccoli stem or zucchini once a week, they won't starve

Upvote 0

GlennO

Got a shock today while peering into the tank I saw a very tiny fish fry swimming around. A couple of days ago I transferred some moss into the shrimp tank from my display tank. I guess there was a fish egg in it.

Also watched a female shrimp being pursued aggressively by a gang of males and then mating with one of them while the others tried in vain to interrupt. Quite a torrid affair!

Upvote 0

GlennO

I discovered a while ago that my shrimp like zucchini. Today I discovered that they go absolutely nuts over broccoli.

37E058DF-8A77-4ADD-B132-47E645847F87.jpeg

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Zucchini that has been in tropical tank water a little to long over the 24 maximum is just messy to remove as it turns in to slush. Broccoli that has been in tropical water 24 hours or even less sticks the house out.

Nice colours. That’s pretty good for my town in Australia.

Upvote 0

GlennO

Thanks, I might remove what’s left this evening. They’ve eaten half of it already.

Upvote 0

richiep

While they are feeding on it leave it there, I put mine in at 5pm and leave it by 10pm its normally gone

Upvote 0

jmaldo

Have you tried brussels sprouts?

RCS Brussel Sprout.jpg

Upvote 0

The2dCour

The product could be snake oil for all I know, but I thought it might help.

3750314A-1F94-41A5-8167-D3B80A8EB712.jpeg

I’ll have some mulberry leaves in a couple of days.
Looks like calcium and bacteria, shrimp food. Not snake oil probably similar to BacterAE.

Upvote 0

richiep

Looks like calcium and bacteria, shrimp food. Not snake oil probably similar to BacterAE.
I agree with @The2dcoue Glen its similar to bctor ae
Just use small amounts
Edit
Sorry to The2dCour I forgot to add you in the post ops:

Upvote 0

GlennO

Have you tried brussels sprouts?

No I haven’t. I’m sure they’d love them but I’d have to smuggle Brussels sprouts into this household.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fishietank
Replies
Views
idkausernamesoyeah
  • Solved
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420