My First Shrimp Tank

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by japswe, Jul 20, 2017.

1. japswe

japsweNew MemberMember

IMG_1235.JPGc270ce3c9d7259569045b3bcf295b27f.jpg0077f56be06a5f94be32204c9d87cb64.jpg

Shrimp tank almost complete! Just need a few more plants. Tips are welcome as this is my first shrimp tank. No fish, just a snail hiding somewhere. Water parameters are great and they seem to be active and enjoying the various plants/moss

58903bdc40ad6f0fb58d8a40ad5dd82d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2017
  2. VioletSS

VioletSSValued MemberMember

I'm starting my first shrimp tank, too!

How did cycling go? How long did it take?
    How many shrimp did you start with?

3. OP
    OP
    japswe

japsweNew MemberMember

Cycling was quick since I used an established tank that used to house some neons :) New tank cycling usually takes a good 3 weeks for me. It makes the time go by faster if you aquascape slowly, it's fun finding the perfect driftwood, plants, etc.

I added some ultra red cherry, blue velvet and a few yellow shrimp. 25 shrimp total. Oh and an orange ramshorn snail. They all seem happy!

4. Kellye8498

Kellye8498Well Known MemberMember

You're ok with them interbreeding and getting wild colored brown shrimplettes right?

5. Polyrhythm

PolyrhythmValued MemberMember

Yeah, I experienced the interbreeding color thing as well. Had 10 red and 10 yellow, got very brown babies (at best some are just clearish red). Eventually expensive color morphs dwindle down to brown and clear shrimp.

For a visual comparison here's one of my red/yellow mixes next to one of my new fire reds (I don't have the heart to cull the brown ones so they stay lol)
    B3L5w2A.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    japswe

japsweNew MemberMember

Yes I'm aware that red and blue shrimp don't make purple :) I wish!

7. Kellye8498

Kellye8498Well Known MemberMember

Me too because purple shrimp would be amazing xD

Maybe instead of culling you could give them their own tank? I have MTS with a vengeance so I'm always going to suggest another tank xD Then you could have a pure strain and another where you put the ones you don't really want to breed for better looks. I just found babies all over my rock in my tank where the shrimp go to hide. I am so happy to see them lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice