My first set up in years - compatability questions

1. booboo7336 Initiate Member

Back after a few years as I had fish all my life growing up. Set up a little 20 (I think it's 29) gallon high tank and going thru cycle now.  Thanks for the cycle advise, all those years and I never did it, wonder why I lost many fish, nice to be educated some now.

Always loved angels and I know they limit my number of fish due to their size but I need to have them. FIrst of all, get them in pairs? I also want silver dollars but know there size will not work with my tank and angels. Also thinking about dwarf gouramies and a red tail shark and or cory cat.

Could I do two angels, a few silver dollars and maybe dwarf gouramies? Should I keep silver dollars out with angels. What other small fish can I add as I do NOT want my angels to get there tails nipped.

Thanks for the site and advise.....

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us and back in the hobby! This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't try the silver dollars or gouramis with your angels. Angels and gouramis are usually not a very good mix, and if you want live plants in your tank, the silver dollars will think they're at the buffet. I have a 55 gal. with 5 angels in it, and also have a beautiful pleco (some have called it a snowball pleco). How about starting with the angels, and maybe adding something like rummy nose tetras, some cory cats, and an interesting pleco (or 2 if you get the bristlenose or smaller species)? You could also add some sort of loaches also. I have yo yo loaches and love 'em! That would add plenty of activity and variety to your tank. ;)

3. booboo7336 Initiate Member

Thanks for the feedback. I want angels bad enough that I will sacrifice the silver dollars and gouramies. Isn't a pleco too big for my 22 high and will the tetra's nip the angels?

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

It depends on what kind of pleco you get ;) Most bristlenose get about 5-6 inches and do a great job of cleaning up algae an will also eat shrimp pellets, veggie wagers and just about anything that falls to the bottom.
    You could have 3-4 corys but they won't cleanup any algae if you get any.
    I have green neons and black neons with my angels and they do great. Those particular neons are too big for the angels to eat.
    I think 2 angels are about all you want in that size tank.
    Welcome to FishLore!!!! ;D We love to talk about our fish.
    Carol