Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

My First Ropefish Any Suggestions

1. Fishyguy87

Fishyguy87 New Member Member

So I got a ropefish last week hes eating and loving the tank first time owning one i have a 65 gallon wide and tall love the tank I have live plants 3 Angel's 1 Mexican dwarf lobster 1 twig catfish and 7 platys and 3 rummy nose tetras but I'm noticing that he is really active during the day and swimming all over the place is that normal but then he goes and hides in the corner which I know they do..is it normal for the rope fish to be this active durning the day

2. B

BichirKeeper84 Valued Member Member

They can be. They are social fish though and if you feel you have the room is highly suggest getting a couple more. With it being new it's not surprising to have this activity level but in time it may become more reclusive without friends.

3. OP
    OP
    Fishyguy87

But the thing is it scares my other fish lol

4. B

I would imagine he'll calm down.

Do you have a secure lid? They are expert escape artists and can escape through the smallest of holes

5. OP
    OP
    Fishyguy87

No where for him to escape all glass on top :)

6. B

What about around your filters

7. OP
    OP
    Fishyguy87

It's all tight

I posted pics of my tank and fish

8. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

Along with getting some more ropefish, get more rummynose’s too. They’re schooling fish.

9. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Hey I don't know very much about ropefish, but I do know those rummynose tetras are a schooling fish. Being in a group of only 3 is probably contributing to them being scared. They are a safety in numbers kind of fish. Did you used to have more and some didn't make it? You should really get some more of them. It will make them feel happier and more secure, and you'll get to see some really cool schooling behavior from them.

10. OP
    OP
    Fishyguy87

I had 5 now only 3 but they not scared of any other fish my platys and angel fish r scared of the ropefish which I find weird

11. B

Your ropes may eventually try to make a snack out of the rummys. They are carnivores in nature and most ropes are wild caught.

I'd consider replacing them with a larger schooling fish

Advertising