My first post. Almost done stocking my tank.

ichthus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have been setting up my 60 gallon tank for the last few months. It's been a wonderful process from building the stand to setting up all the components to finally cycling the tank and adding fish.

My tank is 60 gallons (48L x 12W x 24H). No plants. I have a Finnex Stingray LED light that I've modded to dim, and added blue moonlights that I built myself. I'm running two EheI'm 2215 filters, each with a Hydor 200W heater, and I have a 2 fan unit over the tank to cool when needed. We also have an airstone that runs inside a volcano about 10 hours a day. All of this is controlled by an Apex system.

Both of my kids are really into the tank, and we've had fun stocking. Here's what we have currently:

6 Corys
6 KuhlI Loaches
1 Clown Pleco
1 Neon Dwarf Gourami
1 German Blue Ram
9 Cardinal Tetras
9 Porkchop Rasboras

The last fish we added a couple of weeks ago and everything has been active, beautiful, and friendly. Now I'm wondering if we should go for one more round of additions. Here's a short list I'm choosing from:

Do Nothing?
1 Double Red Apisto Cac?
6-9 Hatchet fish up top?
add 3 Cardinals + 3 Rasboras

Thanks for any input. I've been lurking around a number of forums, and finally chose this one to join!

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome to the forum

What kind of corys do you have? I'd actually up the numbers of those and the kuhlis to at least 8.

I THINK the additions you want may be ok but I'll let others more knowledgeable confirm. TexasDomer tyguy7760

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Typically I would not suggest keeping cories and kuhlis together. But since you already have them, this is what I would do (also what type of cories?)

6 Cories
10 KuhlI Loaches (add 4)
1 Clown pleco
1 Dwarf Gourami
2 German Rams (add 1, you have the room)
12-14 Cardinal Tetras
12-14 Porkchop Rasboras

As far as your suggested additions, I suggested adding kuhlis, one german ram, and up your rasbora and cardinal school. I would not add just one super red apisto. You have the room so if this is the route you want to take it's fine, but if the ram and the apisto every fight, the apisto is going to lose...and lose hard. Instead get another german ram, or maybe an electric blue ram or golden ram. You'll have more natural behavior from the rams that way. I am personally not a fan of hatchet fish but you can absolutely do this if you'd like. Just don't up the cardinals and rasboras as well. I upped the kuhlis because kuhlis are a shy fish. I typically don't suggest keeping them with cories but if you are going to then you want to keep more kuhli's than cories.

It sounds like you've researched your tank rather well. Kudos to you

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

I'm going to disagree with the others and say rehome the kuhlis. They're not temperature compatible with blue rams. If the cories are temp compatible, you can increase their school.

OP
I

ichthus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the suggestions. I have to think about this more. I want to be very particular about what I choose, both in terms of compatibility and how the tank will look.

I have duplicate corys (duplicareus). Very pretty.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Those cories aren't temp compatible either. Rather than rehoming the cories and the kuhlis, why not rehome the blue ram and get a pair of Bolivian rams instead? They can handle the cooler water that both of your bottom schoolers need.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
tyguy7760 said:
Kuhlis would be fine with blue rams I think.

Agree with you on the cories though
Ah that's right, I forgot SF was off on this one.

OP
I

ichthus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So looking to make some adjustments to my current stock. How about this?

1 Neon Dwarf Gourami
2 German Blue Rams
12 Cardinal Tetras
12 Porkchop Rasboras
6 KuhlI Loaches
6 Otos

What else might work well?

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Otos need cooler temps than the other fish. Why not up the kuhlI loaches to 10 and add a clown pleco or BN pleco as suggested above?

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Agreed with el337. While 6 is the minimum amount of kuhlis that can be kept I believe that if you have the room you should up the number. 10 would be a good number for this tank.

New Threads