My First Planted Aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by nate12, Jul 13, 2015.

1. n

nate12 New Member Member

This weekend I decided to put together my first planted aquarium and wanted to get a few suggestions. I am waiting for a new stand to arrive for the tank before I begin to cycle. I have a 29 gallon tank (30x13x18) that will have a black sand substrate, some driftwood and possibly a few terra cotta pots. I think I would like to stock with a south american theme with tetras, corys and either a bolivian ram or GBR on availability.

I would like one tall centerpiece plant for the big pot (amazon sword or similar?), maybe some java fern since i've read its hardy an attaches nicely to driftwood and one smaller plant of some kind for the foreground. Please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions.

[​IMG]

2. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore, you've found a great community of people that care about fish, aquariums, and other animals.

As for you question, here is a link to my article I put together that explains the basics of getting started with a low light / low tech tank, which is what would be best to start with. After reading it and all the links, you should have a pretty good idea of what is needed....

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/297-how-set-up-low-light-low-tech-planted-tank.html

3. OP
    OP
    n

nate12 New Member Member

Thank you for the great resource, I have some reading to do. Is there any reason to hold off adding plants until the tank cycle is complete?

4. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

No reason. Plants can aren't affected by the cycle too much. They will use up some of the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate as food, so in theory they could slow down the cycling process some. But I believe it is helpful, as the spikes won't be as high, so it's a more "gradual" cycle, sort of like easing into the cycle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice