My First Mystery Snail

Zenial

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi all!

I just purchased my first snail! A mystery snail!

I'm having eggs for lunch! Boiling at the moment.

I've cut up some zucchini rounds, and popped them in a snack pack in the fridge.

I acclimatised him as I would a normal fish, then plucked him out the bag and put him in my tank. Surprisingly slimy shell (feels weird to say that about a sea creature lol).

After posting this, I'm going to clean a wooden skewer for his personal feeding use.

I'm 100% sure he can't be sucked in by my filter.

So far my only concern is my pH is below 7, how damaging is this short term? Taking action to adjust my water supply now.

applesnail.net is down at the moment, so what else should I know?

And most importantly, his name is Bob

EDIT: And what's that giant thing coming out the side of it for....!?!
EDIT2: Rather than using egg shells, is it better to use a cuttlefish bone fragment?
EDIT3: Bob is a girl. But I still like that name for a snail, changed to Bobby Jean.
EDIT4: First veg on a skewer, a little more difficult than I thought - almost harpooned a fish I'll just use my hand...

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Zenial,

I use egg shells in my tank for the calcium and feeding them zucchini. I've read that the cuttlefish bone is good too but I've never used it. Bob...cute name for her.
For very short term your pH below 7.0 might be ok...it really needs to be above 7.0 though soon as you know.

One of our members RainMan has a snail anatomy photo in his signature. Do a search for Rainman or check his profile.

Have fun!

Ken

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you ever feed your fish blood worms make sure your snail gets some. Mine LOVES them, I hold them up by him and he slurps them like spaghetti, fun to watch.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wait, i have a little question....i have nerites and i have crushed up egg shells in my tank. but how long should i leave them in for? and can they be raw shells, or should they be boiled. i did the former.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Jeri,

I use raw, rinsed egg shells. I'm not certain if boiling them will cause any nutrients to be removed or not. I place them in a mesh bag and hide them in my tank. I leave them in until they dissolve then I add new one.

Ken

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks ken! so i have had mine is for at least two weeks and they are still in there. are they supposed to dissolve completely? they seem to not be? i have mine in some pantyhose i cut.

rainman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are so many variables that could account for the slow dissolution of the egg shells: size of tank, size of the holes in the fabric, water flow, pH, amount of calcium already in the water. It should be fine.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thank u. the size of the holes are pretty small cos it's pantyhose. and the tank is 20g.....so i don' tknow. thanks for the advice.......

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jeri it may take a month or more for the eggs to dissolve. The white will completely disappear and then there will be a film type substance left in the hose. When you don't see any more white then I would exchange it for new egg shells.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom