My First Leopard Gecko

1. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

I got my first leopard gecko after researching for awhile. He is one years old and a common leopard gecko morph. I got him from online where someone wasn't caring for him anymore.
    I payed $80 for him and his house with everything in it. He lived in a 20 gallon long with no under tank heater and in aspen bedding. I im hoping to change it to some eco earth later when he gets comfortable. He also will be getting a proper MOIST hide. He is very friendly and I have already held him. Any name ideas? And tips?
    upload_2018-6-18_11-29-13.png
    upload_2018-6-18_11-29-39.png

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Adorable! I do have some questions though.

What is your heat source? Do you have a daylight source?
    What’s the temperature? I recommend a temperature of 95 maximum at the hot end (daytime) and a temperature of 85 at the cool end. (daytime)
    You should keep a flat stone underneath the heat source so he can receive his belly heat in order to digest his food.

There should be three hides, so that moist hide will be appreciated. I keep wet washcloths in the moist hide, and dampen them every day. You can also spray the hide with a mister.

I keep my gecko on PlaySand, and a bathroom tile floor right beneath the heating source.

3. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Banana :p

4. OP
    OP
    CanadianFishFan

His heat source is a under tank heat mat on his warm side of the tank. I have the light on right now in the room and will be setting up the uvb bulb hopefully today.
    I gotta check the temperature when i get home but he is already active. Will a Hide just work for the heat map? Or do I need a stone....? ( I have many flat stones from my fish tanks)
    Thanks for checking in.
    Edit: Oops! Yeah im panning to get my third hide in when i re do his whole tank. I bought a $32 moist hide and I will put some paper towels in there and spray down daily. I might re do his tank today if he is comfortable. He was super friendly when I got him yesterday and held him.

5. OP
    OP
    CanadianFishFan

Lol maybe.

6. Fanatic

Okay, sounds good.
    I would put a flat stone if you are using a heating bulb.

7. OP
    OP
    CanadianFishFan

Im useing both, Under heat mat on warm side and a light for day time in the middle.

8. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

i love him... what about George

9. Fanatic

If the UTH reaches 93, you’ll be fine with letting him warm up on that for belly heat. I don’t have a heater underneath, so I use tile which heats up to give her the heat.
    ECB8C6B0-74F9-4A47-9661-3ED5BEF31C81.jpeg 98B69DE5-7C34-4C0A-98B7-F77A66383FC1.jpeg 4DFBCDAF-7E86-4907-8A31-E56969B84D44.jpeg A7BDDB8F-60A5-4F24-BEA7-0B5A8C64C0A0.jpeg

10. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

I'm glad you're getting UVB. There seems to be this misconception that just because they're nocturnal, they don't need it. In reality and in the wild, they come out for short periods of time to bask before going back to sleep. Every. Single. Reptile. Needs. It. Some need more of it, like Bearded Dragons, but they all need some.

11. OP
    OP
    CanadianFishFan

Update: The cool side went from 72f to 80f when i got home, I will get the warm side up soon. We are having 30c weather so its super hot this week. ( thats like 86f?)

12. Fanatic

You need to aim for 95F on the hot side, but I recommend a tummy temperature of 92.

13. OP
    OP
    CanadianFishFan

yep! Just got it all installed today! I have the heat mat and everything

14. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I don’t have any really good advice, but I heard they like to eat crickets and mealworms.

Also, how about Solstice?

15. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

I thought you had a tortoise for a moment lol

16. OP
    OP
    CanadianFishFan

Awesome name! I im feeding crickets and mealworms to him and hoping to get some more worms as treats! Such as bigger mealworms, wax worms and super worms

17. OP
    OP
    CanadianFishFan

Lol! Many thought that.

18. OP
    OP
    CanadianFishFan

Another Update! Today I setup a proper tank and cleaned it well, I know have a proper moist hide and heat mat. It is a 20gallon long but im saveing up some money for like a 40 gallon breeder.
    upload_2018-6-23_0-55-28.png upload_2018-6-23_0-55-37.png

19. Fanatic

I think it looks really good!
    Leopard Geckos can eat crickets, mealworms, dubia roaches, calci worms, isopods, juvenile hornworms, and superworms.