My First Ick

1. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

One of my cories has ick. Can someone tell me the best method to treat it?

2. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

3. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

I would highly recommend the heat treatment. Slowly raise the temperature of the tank to 86F and leave it there for 2 weeks. This will 1) speed up the life cycle of the parasite (so you might see more ich before it goes away) and 2) kill any free swimming ich babies (forget the scientific name lol, but young ich can't survive at this temperature).

Alternatively, if you can't raise the temperature then you can do a salt treatment. Same concept, the young ich can't survive in the salt.

There are medications that kill ich too, but the heat and salt treatments work best imo

4. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I also recommend heat or salt treatment, I feel it's better to use medication as a last resort.

5. OP
    OP
    penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I was planning to avoid medication if possible. I'm just worried that a heat or salt treatment could stress out my existing fish, especially since I have new fry in the tank.

My stock is:
    5x glofish tetras (one just passed)
    1x balloon molly
    1x platy
    1x bronze cory
    1x ghost shrimp
    4x platy fry (in a breeder net)

I'm planning to get:
    4-5x more cories
    2x male fancy guppies
    And more snails and shrimp.

Will the heat treatment stress out, or possibly kill, these fish? I'm going to my LFS (which is almost an hour away) this weekend, so my stock will probably be completed then. Is it bad to raise the heat with brand new fish? It's spring break, so I HAVE to go to the LFS this weekend... We tend to be very busy, and I won't get to go any other time.

6. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Heat treatment should be fine with them. If you want to grab some medicine in case hest doesn't have, that's fine too. I'd recommend kordon ich treatment because it works great on ish and is good for other things too