My first goldfish!!

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by critter_fritter79, Mar 20, 2010.

1. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Today i brought home my first goldfishes! I got 2 calico pearlscale, a black tailed telescoping eye and a black moor. Sadly, to keep myself sane with all my betta kids, I needed a tank that was betta free!! Sorry to all the betta owners out there! I dearly love breeding and just plain having my house full of bettas, but needed a change to keep from getting burnt out!

I honestly have never had goldfish before, so I have a few questions..

1. I know they will need a bigger tank in the future...they will be moving to the big hex tank once I get the leak sealed...but for now they are in a 20gallon. The tank has 3 balloon mollies in it and has been cycled for over a year... Should thatwork for a month or so?

2. The substrate in this tank is natural sand...from my yard which is ALL sand.. is that ok, or do I need to change that?

3. Should there be any confilct with this mix?

2. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

1. If they are babies then the size shouldn't be a problem until the upgrade. Probably just a few bigger water changes might be in order ;)

I had four 1 1/2 inch goldies in my 10 for almost 2 months, and the water params stayed good (by the time I got a test kit anyway...). I was doing about 50% water changes every week though.

2. not sure about the yard sand.

3. only catch with the mollies is that goldies do better in lower temps. Not sure what settings you have the heater at, but they should be able to adjust to whatever the setting is. Just make sure the mollies are getting enough to eat. Goldies are little piggies about food! But then that should be less of a problem with the fancies then it would be with my comets--lol

Personally I love my goldies.. not spoiled and fussy the way that my betta is! ;) ... actually I love him too... he just drives me crazy!

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. s

shellbell4ever Well Known Member Member

Congrats on The New Goldfish :) But Be Careful thought they are just as addicting as Betta's!!!I wanted a tank with fish that would play nice together :)thats how I got my first goldfish :)
    I love my Betta's don't get me wrong Had 9 at once at one time but that many little tanks on tank cleaning day just got to much for me and when Hubby got sick that was the end of that anyway :( and i just can't be happy with a divided tank :(
    Again Congrats on the Goldie's :) with 4 you'll eventually want at least a 40 gallon but even better a 55 gallon :) Cooler temps and 2x the filtration!!!Cant wait to see some pic's :)

5. chillifish

chillifish New Member Member

congrats Critter. I wish you good luck with your setup. Hope to hear from you soon and tell us how your goldies are doing in their new home :)

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Critter! :;hi1

I hope all of your new Goldies are doing well.

I think ShellBell may have a typo where she states 2x the filtration, or either I'm reading it wrong. For filtration I would suggest 10x the tank volume for filtration when using hang on back (hob) filters.

I have 4 Goldies in my 26g tank at the moment and I'm running an Aqua Clear 70 (300gph) and my water chemistry is perfect and crystal clear. It's planted and I do frequent water changes. I'm getting ready to upgrade myself soon to at least 55g.

:camera::whistling:
    Ken

7. s

shellbell4ever Well Known Member Member

yes my bad ;) 10 x the filtration :)

8. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I actually have an extra 55 gallon hob filter...that is what I have been using! The smaller filter finally gave up the ghost a few months ago..I also have a sponge filter in there for the simple fact that it has been running almost a year and is full of those good bacteria! I will get some pics as as soon as I can...I am in the process of sucking out al the sand. Between the heavier filter and what the goldies have been spitting it out while hunting the bottom, the whole tank is constantly cloudy from the floating sand. I don't want this to irritate their gills, so I am just gonna go bare bottom with some of those glass pebbles...

9. chillifish

chillifish New Member Member

yeah, the sand might irritate the gills. Also do your best to remove all the remaining debris
    good luck :)

10. Bisc

Bisc Valued Member Member

Not to be the only one with a bad comment, but I don't think you should have those goldfish in a 20 gallon tank, no matter how long the wait is.

Pearlscale goldfish and black moors become pretty large (from 5+ inches) and keeping them in that small of a tank with that many fish will stunt their growth, regardless of how long they'l be in it. I recomend at least a 20 gallon for one Pearlscale alone, and then at least a 15 gallon for the Black Moor. You need to have a bigger tank a.s.a.p. to have also the second Pearlscale and the telescope goldfish.

I have an Oranda in a 25 gallon tank, and it will be in a 40 gallon whenever the Oscar in it dies. I will be purchasing another goldfish to go with it as well. As an avid "goldfisher" (hehehe) I am begging you to get a large tank. The fish may all fit, but to what expense? The fish won't be very happy because their growth will be stunted, and also, they won't have the necessary room to swim around.

As for sand, I recomend it because it's easier on goldfish when they pick food from the bottom, however, I don't know if I would recommend sand from the ground outside.

And, of course, no conflict, however, the Mollies may nip their fins and can be harmed by all of the ammonia being outputted. The only other concern is safe decorations to protect the fins and eyes.

11. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

the sand is gone and they got moved to a 55 hex 6 days after I got them. I havent gotten any pics yet as I have been up to my eyeballs in betta fry but will get some as soon as I can.

12. p

pinksprklmonkey Valued Member Member

Yikes. When do you plan on your Oscar dying? Is it sick or something? How old is it? Sorry to get off topic but this seemed kinda sad to me.

13. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

It is my Oscar Pinksprklmonkey. And the 25gal tank is also mine. She was speaking of my tanks, we live near one another. (me and Bisc) Anyways, my Oscar is 3 years old and signs of ageing are getting to him. I've been expecting him to pass anyday but somedays he is good and others he is not so good. There isnt anything wrong with him externally and no indications of internal problems. I think he is just old, I've only had him for 3 years but idk how old he is all together when we got him he was already 5 inches long. But thats besides the point. My parents are the ones who keep the 40gal tank with the Oscar, and for some reason refuse to let me care for it. But my Father already said if the Oscar dies the tank is being moved to my room where Bisc's Oranda and My Lionhead goldfish will be moved to. That is until I can buy a 120gal tank they a LFS has that I've been eyeing for a while now....*sigh* it is kind of expensive but includes a filter and decor so its ok in my book lol....look at me ranting....gah I'm done lol.....oh wait. Critter the tank is really fine for now as long as they are going to that 55gal hex you got. I'm sure they'll love it but I just wanted to say I find long tanks better for goldfish they like to swim to the surface for gulps and to feed. But congrats on the new goldies!!

P.S. Sand is perfect for goldfish more like their natural enviroments in the wild and what not. I have sand in my 25gal goldie tank and they love it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice