My First Fry!!!

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I walked by my fish tank today and I saw something really small swimming so I go take a look and it was a fry! I have never had fry before and I'm really excited. All together I found 6! You should have seen me trying to net the fry to put them in the breeders trap. My tank is on my dresser and it's kind of high up so I have to use this little ladder to reach the top and I was also trying to see and net the fry so I was twisting my body (almost fell off a few times lol) so I could see the fry on the side, standing on a ladder, and trying to net tiny little fish. It took me an hour and a half before I finally got all the fry and I even acidently netted the grown female a few times.

So now I have 6 fry in a breeder trap and I fed them crushed flakes a little while ago and they were eating but I didn't crush the flakes enough and they had trouble eating some of the flakes (oops).

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
congrats on your fry. our molly had some herself over a month ago. they were are first fry. unfortunately we lost 5 of the 6 we saved, but hopefully you have better luck.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
congrats!

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congratulations on the new fry. Do share some pictures please!

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ahhh! I spent a lot of time today crushing the flakes but they still aren't small enough! Does anyone recommend any good food for fry? Also how long should I keep them in the breeders trap before I move them into a different tank? Thanks guys!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HikarI first bites is great. You could try putting some flakes in a bag and then smashing them with your fingers or a rolling pin. You can give them some live plants to pick at abnd hide in also. I move my guppy and platy fry as soon as I move the mother out of the box. As long as fry tank params are the same it should be ok. I've also taken a ziploc bag and put it in the tank and held the box with it so the box would keep water, then put it into the fry tank, remove plastic bag and V divider and let them swI out on their own. This was done with a small breeder box. Best of luck and congrats.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
All the fry seem to be doing well, none have died yay! But I was wondering how often I should feed them, I only feed them once a day but should I feed them twice a day instead? Also how long will it be before they start to show color?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Lauren, congrats on the fry! Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs are the best food for guppy fry IMO if you can find them. I'd keep the fry where they are until they're a week old and then move them into their own tank if you have one. Doing 30% water changes every other day will help them to grow faster, and they should begin to show colour around 3 months. Feeding a small amount 3 times a day always works best for me. Good luck!

gnatboy911

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just had my first guppy fry yesterday also! I have my tank in my 3rd grade classroom and at the end of the day a couple kids noticed the fry. i've had them in the tank for a few months now and couldn't believe it took that long for them to drop the fry.

I caught a few of them and put them in a breeder box and have been feeding them crushed up flakes...they are doing pretty well and eating it seems like.

there are a few others that I couldn't catch that seem to be doing well hiding in different plants and such so hopefully they make it also.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Update: I found another fry in my aquarium, so now I have a total of 7 fry. All are doing great and eating, they are still in a breeder box but I plan to move them to a different tank at the end of the week. I tried putting flake food in a plastic baggie and used a rolling pin to crush the flakes and that worked like a charm, I finally got the flakes small enough!

SammyJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Gratz, I love guppy fry. The best part is seeing their color come out as they grow up. I miss my guppy/sword tail/mosquito fish swarm now.

Give your fry a nice treat. Make a diy brine shrimp hatchery, hatch out a batch and freeze them into small ice cubes. It works like a charm and they will grow like weeds. Its not much work either.

I may have to set up my 10 gallon again, no room for the 29 in my current place. Just thinking about another swarm of mosquito fish makes my giddy with excitement.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I found three more fry! I think another guppy had them though because I walked into the room where the aquarium is and she was swimming really close to the bottom of the tank and I looked more closely and I found the three fry by her.

hyun007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Usually they are fine with their parents if the tank is spacious, plants to hide and enough foods for their parents.

chumzhujun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I read some info that say that crush egg yolk is the best as it have sufficent nutrient and calcuim

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been using HBH Fry Bites for my molly fry and they've responded really well. It comes in a very small container but it lasts forever because you only feed a tiny bit at a time.

BTW, a lot of experts believe the plastic breeder boxes to be a bad setup and recommend the nets. However, I've been using a plastic box for around 6 weeks with my seemingly continuously-spawning mollies and I lose under 1/4 of them, usually scrawny ones that never grow. I think part of it is because I will lift the box 3/4 out of the water several times in a row every time I open the tank. That prevents the water from becoming stagnant.

I do get a lot of algae growth inside the box and that has to be cleaned up occasionally. But, the fry will constantly graze on it. I also suck out old food and waste from the bottom of the breeder box daily, sometimes more often.

As the fish get a little older, I drop a tiny piece of a tubifex worm cube in the breeder tank and the older fry drop everything and attack the worms. I also drop a chip from an algae wafer into the box and they will swarm it, elbowing each other out of the way to get their mouths on it.

Your guppies should respond similar to my mollies.

dlewin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you can also put the flakes in a blender and crush them that way. I find guppies are the best livebarriers that don't eat there fry as much as other livebarriers.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
chumzhujun said:
I read some info that say that crush egg yolk is the best as it have sufficent nutrient and calcuim
that's really messy tho, and the tank will have to be cleaned after the fry get their fill. my fry get all kinds of food. TetraMin flakes, BettaMin flakes, Frozen Brine Shrimp when they get to be about 1/2" long, and algae that grows on the breeders net. I think their favorite is the BettaMin tho, maybe because of the freeze-dried brine shrimp in it...

and if you still have trouble getting the flakes small enough, you could get a paper towle, give it a couple of good shake to get the dust off and crush them up in there. that what I used to do, until I got used to crushing flakes with my fingers =)

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
dlewin said:
you can also put the flakes in a blender and crush them that way. I find guppies are the best livebarriers that don't eat there fry as much as other livebarriers.
lol you need to see some of mine then, they are beasts, they eat their own and any other species that happens to wander nearby.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just bought some frozen baby brines that I'm going to try to see if my fry like. My 10 fry are all alive and doing well, I was actually surprised that none of my fry have died considering its my first batch. Does anyone know if petco or petland or petsmart will accept my fry once they grow up?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aquariumgirl lauren said:
I just bought some frozen baby brines that I'm going to try to see if my fry like. My 10 fry are all alive and doing well, I was actually surprised that none of my fry have died considering its my first batch. Does anyone know if petco or petland or petsmart will accept my fry once they grow up?
sound like you're doing a good job then! ;D

chain stores probly won't take fry, at least not if you want to be paid. they
might except "donations" tho, but I don't think they will. a local store would tho.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads