My First DIY Stand

sjlchgo
This stand will accommodate a 29-40 gal tank. Almost finished, just need to add a bit more trim around the door and change the handle. 2x4 frame with 1/2" oak panels. The top is paint grade pine, sanded and stained with 2 coats of clear poly for waterproofing. I'm going to make a canopy and then start on a stand for my 55 gal. Cost approx $90-$100.

Tayful
Great job, I think it looks excellent!

sjlchgo
Great job, I think it looks excellent!

Thanks!! It was my first "stab" at it, so I hope future projects will turn out better.

Peterpiper
Love the look! If ya like you, can do one for our 240lt!

Jimold
Are you sure it will support the weight?

sjlchgo
Are you sure it will support the weight?

It hold me(180lbs) just fine with no wobbling. the uprights are all 2x4 with sistered boards, so they are essentially 4x4 uprights.

Trpimp147
a 55 gal tank with no rock just water and tank it self its about 460lbs....then if you add rock just add another 65 lbs w/decor and such it will displace some of the water but rock with weight more then water... looken at some weight.

sjlchgo
a 55 gal tank with no rock just water and tank it self its about 460lbs....then if you add rock just add another 65 lbs w/decor and such it will displace some of the water but rock with weight more then water... looken at some weight.

I'm only going to be putting a 29 gal tank on this stand.

These are the plans I used. I only made size modifications to fit my tank.

Trpimp147
ooo I see I read at the bottem the 55 gal didnt read the rest my bad.... and if its made of 2x4s ull be fine... your house is built with them so I think they can support a fish tank... I kno with my 75 gal tank I have almost 800 lbs at least in it.

Jimold
The reason I ask is I want to make a new base for my 48 column tank. My concern is the fact that it's a column tank, which puts all the weight in a much smaller footprint; 18" x 20" to be exact. So if you figure weight per square inch it's much higher than a long 55 gallon tank, even though the 55 weighs more. See my concern?
I'm figuring on using 4x4 or even 6x6 uprights.

paswed
really nice like the look

Trpimp147
all you would need is a 2x4 they hold a lot of weight. I have my 75 gal set up and I stand on that thing with my gf cleaning it that's another 320 lbs of weight and it don't even creek or any thing I also build it really good I used grade 8 steel bolts and I used 1/4 inch thick screws in all 2x4s to hold it to gether I also made the corners like a 4x4 set up with bolts total bolts in it is around 20 bolts and like 80 screws. I over killed it .... hehe I can park a car on the stand haha.

Jimold
yup, that'a my game plan exactly... I want something able to support half a ton.

I'm only going to be putting a 29 gal tank on this stand.

I love your driftwood, very cool shape!

Martinismommy
VERY nice! You have to be proud of this project.....

sjlchgo
This is the stand WITH the tank on it. I finished the trim and it really looks nice. A much bigger improvement over the wrought iron stand it was on.

The reason I ask is I want to make a new base for my 48 column tank. My concern is the fact that it's a column tank, which puts all the weight in a much smaller footprint; 18" x 20" to be exact. So if you figure weight per square inch it's much higher than a long 55 gallon tank, even though the 55 weighs more. See my concern?
I'm figuring on using 4x4 or even 6x6 uprights.

2x4's sistered(doubled up) is easier to cut than 4x4's I believe the 2x4's would do just fine. You also have to consider the weight of the stand once you're done. I would add extra footing around the base to prevent it from tipping over, that's all.

Jimold
2x4's sistered(doubled up) is easier to cut than 4x4's I believe the 2x4's would do just fine. You also have to consider the weight of the stand once you're done. I would add extra footing around the base to prevent it from tipping over, that's all.

Thanks, I'm not too fond of cutting 4x4's, they're a pain to get straight. And it turns out you and I think alike, I was wondering about tipping today earlier driving around at work. I'm thinking of how to do something that is both solid and cool looking; maybe a diagonal pyramid sort of looking strut or something.

sjlchgo
Here are pics of the canopy I made for the tank. I added square dowels to hold the light fixture. This proved to be much easier than wiring new lights. I placed the glass from the old hood over the slats and the light on top of the glass. An oak fixture will look much better.

Jimold
Here are pics of the canopy I made for the tank. I added square dowels to hold the light fixture. This proved to be much easier than wiring new lights. I placed the glass from the old hood over the slats and the light on top of the glass. An oak fixture will look much better.

Very cool! I'm planning on something like it for my 46 bowfront, but I'm not sure yet how to get the "bowfront" bend right. I have some nice 1/8" high quality plywood I'm probably going to use. The lights sit on the tank right now, and they'll probably stay where they are. I just want something more than anything to get rid of the glare on the top of the tank. Also, my bowfront is planted and is running just over 200 watts of lights, and gets rather warm, so I might put a muffin fan in the side or back for some airflow.

sjlchgo
Very cool! I'm planning on something like it for my 46 bowfront, but I'm not sure yet how to get the "bowfront" bend right. I have some nice 1/8" high quality plywood I'm probably going to use. The lights sit on the tank right now, and they'll probably stay where they are. I just want something more than anything to get rid of the glare on the top of the tank. Also, my bowfront is planted and is running just over 200 watts of lights, and gets rather warm, so I might put a muffin fan in the side or back for some airflow.

I would build a normal/regular stand, then add a soild top to it. Then when you cut out the top(platform where the tank sits) you can use a jig saw to cut the bow in it. Get a piece of molding and nail it to the curved top. This will give the stand that "bowed" look.

Jimold
I would build a normal/regular stand, then add a soild top to it. Then when you cut out the top(platform where the tank sits) you can use a jig saw to cut the bow in it. Get a piece of molding and nail it to the curved top. This will give the stand that "bowed" look.

Opps, for the bowfront I just ment a canopy top. I have a LOT of lights crammed on the top of my tank, maybe too many to make it work. I'll post a pic later and show you what I'm up against.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
LilHoodoo
Replies
Views
Jonez
Replies
Views