My First Dead Guy. Rip Grape. :(

1. PinkyBunnie

PinkyBunnie New Member Member

Hello everyone,

I woke up to my first dead fish baby. Grape. My purple glofish tetra. I am pretty sure it was Grape but could have been Amethyst. So let me explain, they are both similar sizes. Grape was a little larger. I am pretty sure it was Grape. The reason why this matters is because I am trying to figure out what happened as I sit here. I tested all my levels of course, all is perfect. I have no ammonia or nitrates showing up. The PH is about 7.6. No issues with my tank. There seems to be a turf war and that is my concern.

I have a larger temple in the middle of my tank, and my largest pink glofish (Princess) has been in there for the longest time and claimed it. Eventually I noticed Grape going back there in the temple as well and turfing there. there are 3 openings in the bottom of the temple. Princess ended up in one, and Grape in another. I would occasionally see them get pushy with each other. Technically Princess was there first but this has been going on for weeks already. Mostly they stayed to themselves in their own spot of the temple.

I notice my glofish all seem to be turfed in plants and come out to swim in between. Grapes tail had been eaten when he was found and I don't know if that was a before or after. Partially eaten. And no one has any sign of disease or anything. I don't know what to do or if I should do anything going forward. I am so shocked at the aggressive bratty behavior I see my Glofish having over turf. I feel like I got a shark tank. How do I protect the others? Do I need to send Princess to live with my mother in a separate tank? I just am unsure what to do?

To help you understand my post.

Im sorry for overposting but here is my test results. I just want to show all I can to get as much of a narrowed down reason this happened in all your experienced opinions.

Attached Files:

2. K

Keith83 Valued Member Member

im not sure if its just the photo but your amonia test looks clear. did you use bottle 1 and bottle 2 for the test?

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think you've added both bottles either, it shouldn't be clear.

4. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

Are your glolights in the barb family? Is so you may need to add more to cut down on the aggression. Sounds counterproductive but even if they are not barbs low numbers in lots of different species can lead to aggression.

5. h

helpmyfishplease New Member Member

Glofish tetras are skirt tetras...which can be aggressive.

6. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Skirt tetras do best in groups of 8 or more, avoid longer finned ones if you can as the fins will get torn up. Skirts are notoriously bad fin nippers so they will target just about anything.
    Any fish that passes away becomes a possible meal to the other fish, even ones that were happily swimming together just the day before.
    The ammonia test should read yellow not clear (if there is any ammonia it goes different shades of green).
    I would get a handful more skirt tetras (white or glos that way you still have the same solid coloring in the tank).

7. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

Glofish are skirt tetras and very hardy fish, surprising to see it die.

8. mattgirl

Anything over 0 is considered high. I am amazed that you have only lost one little guy. You really need to do several water changes. Too much at one time could stress your fish out. I would do one now of at least 30%. Wait a couple of hours and do another one if it is still showing high ammonia. Continue with the water changes until you get that ammonia as low as possible.

Are you using Prime for your water conditioner or does what you use treat for ammonia and/or nitrites. If you are using Prime add at least 3 times the normal amount for the full volume of your tank. Not just for the amount of water you are changing and we can go from there.

9. OP
    OP
    PinkyBunnie

I have done a 40% water change now, added 3x water conditioner. I also added Stress Zyme and Stress Coat as well. An hour later the water is really cloudy, but its still testing light green. I will test again in a couple hours and possibly do another water change.

10. mattgirl

good job !!!

Of course you can add whatever you want but I am wondering why you are adding anything other than a water conditioner at this point. I've never used the products you have added and as far as I know I have never needed them. These products may be fine but in my humble opinion the fewer thing one adds to a tank the better it is for the fish.

11. OP
    OP
    PinkyBunnie

Thank you! I just did my second water change tonight. I hope by morning the tests all come back where they should be. I feel so lucky that someone noticed that before all my fish died. That is so crazy. Now I can monitor better and do what is needed. I feel like a terrible fish parent. I am going to order them a nice new plant for their trouble.

12. snowballPLECO

Just use Prime as your conditioner... nothing better than Prime.

13. OP
    OP
    PinkyBunnie

I did not know this. I was using all the API products. I ordered the plant and also the Prime. Thanks for the tip!

14. snowballPLECO

Prime hasn’t ever failed me, it detoxifys nitrite and ammonia while decholorinating your water. It’s the perfect blend of perfect as an aquarist.

15. OP
    OP
    PinkyBunnie

Thank you this is great information!

16. mattgirl

Fresh water is the very best way you can show these little guys that you are a fantastic fish Mom. :)

I am sorry that I didn't stress before that Seachem Prime, in my humble opinion, the one thing you need to have on hand for not only a water conditioner but also is what is needed in a case like this. I am really glad @snowballPLECO caught my omission and you now know that it will help you.

I personally would put all those other things you have on the back of the shelf. As long as you keep their water fresh and clean you shouldn't need them.

There is such a thing as too clean though. Just keep an eye on the water tests and do a water change when needed.

1)Don't over clean the substrate.

2)Don't follow the manufacturers instructions to replace your filter cartridge once a month. Only replace it when it is literally falling apart or when water will no longer flow through it freely. When that happens cut the fiber off of it and put that fiber in the filter housing along with the new cartridge.

3)Do add prime to the new water with each water change.

17. OP
    OP
    PinkyBunnie

Thanks again!

I just did my 3rd water change of about 40%. It was light green again this morning after the second one.. a pale light green but still more than yellow. So another water change I did. Also I did not ever save old cartridge fiber and stick it in my filter before. thats a great idea. Thanks for sharing that! I did order the prime and will use that from now on as soon as its here. I did take some pictures of my guppies because Im now in a panic that all my fish are vulnerable. I am hoping this isnt some disease or something and its just poop or part of the fin. What is that stringy thing down under them? Also showing pic of this mornings test before my 3rd water change, after the second.

Attached Files:

18. OP
    OP
    PinkyBunnie

Also for everyone to know, I thought I mentioned but looking back apparently I didn't; I was actually reading the test wrong for ammonia and was not mixing the two bottles into one tube. I have been oh so impressed with myself that I had such a perfect tank and thought how much easier it is than people make it seem. Ding Dong, hello. Seems I was doing it wrong. I want to say thanks for pointing that out to me and helping me out. I appreciate it so much and I am hoping in the next few hours when I take my next test I will be without elevated ammonia levels and stay that way now that I know how to properly administer the test!

19. mattgirl

It isn't unusual to start seeing problems that really aren't problems when we think we have done something detrimental to our tanks. So many folks then start throwing everything at them to try to fix a nonexistent problem. Just keep an eye on them and if they are acting and eating normal then I would assume it is just poop at this point.

You can feed them some peas from time to time if you think they might be a bit constipated. Just thaw out a few frozen peas. Remove the outer skin and cut them in pieces small enough for your fish.

By replacing your whole filter cartridge you were throwing away a lot of the bacteria necessary for a healthy tank. The makers of the cartridges and the ones that say replace them each month never tell you that. They just want to sell more product.

20. OP
    OP
    PinkyBunnie

Okay here is the update:
    Did my 3rd water change this morning. Here are current tests. Considering I have changed my water 3x in about 15 hours; even though I want to change it again I am hesitant that I may be over-changing it and lose the good bacteria? Should I wait a day, week, or do it now? What does everyone think?

Attached Files: