My First Cichlid Fry Help

1. Nomer Penaranda

Nomer Penaranda New Member Member

So I stripped my yellow lab and put the wigglers in the tumbler, I was just wondering if these little ones are ready to be put in a grow out tank? Its gonna be their own tank too

Attached Files:

2. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

Oh wow, he doesn't eat the babies?

3. OP
    OP
    Nomer Penaranda

The babies are still in the tumbler

4. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

They are ready to go into a grow out tank. Once he yolk sac is gone they will want to start eating.

5. OP
    OP
    Nomer Penaranda

Sounds great thank you

6. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the sight Nomer, I'd say they are ready also, have you started hatching BBS yet? Or do you have something else to feed them?

7. OP
    OP
    Nomer Penaranda

Right now Im gonna be using first bites, but i was looking into hatching bbs just doing more research on it, my first time having frys too hehe

8. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

If brine shrimp are too much of a hassle I guarantee microworms will work just fine. Even prepared foods work fine, I've fed young Africans crushed flakes along with micro worms and sinking pellets. Once they figure out what food is they aren't too picky.

9. OP
    OP
    Nomer Penaranda

Cool thanks man, my locale lfs hatches bbs ill look in to it, and thanks for the advice

10. yukondog

BBS is about as easy as it gets, you can start today and have shrimp tomorrow. What size tank are you going to use? I like a 5 gal. bare bottom with sponge filter to start with than go up from there, its easer to target feed and clean. Good luck with your fry.

11. OP
    OP
    Nomer Penaranda

Well i dont have a 5gal I have a 29 but i didnt fill up the water all the way, thats my only extra tank, and it does have sponge filters and its bare bottom

12. yukondog

With that being the only tank I would put all the plants/moss or any other type of cover on one side that way hopefully they stay around the cover, it would make target feeding and cleaning easer.

13. OP
    OP
    Nomer Penaranda

Cool thanks for the tip

14. yukondog

No problem that's what were here for, I still learn something new every day.

15. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

I'll shoot ya a little cichlid fry food tip. First off brine shrimp (live ones) are absolutely amazing as food for them. However, if you cant get a hold of that here is what works like nothin else. Get a coffee grinder, lil electric one from walmart ($9 ish). Take some flakes and some hikari gold and some dried river shimp and grind that up into a nice powder. Pop that into an old empty fish food container and you have instant fry food. My JD, GT, Convict, FM, and Pacu fry love it and talk about growth.

16. OP
    OP
    Nomer Penaranda

Thanks for the advice chief ill try it out