My First Case Of Ich

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by HigherPrimate, Aug 5, 2019.

1. HigherPrimate

HigherPrimateNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Hey All,

So I have an Ich issue in my South American Cichlid Community tank.

My German Blue Ram, Electric Blue Ram, Texas Cichlid currently have spots. My Blood parrot. Angel Ram, and Ancestrus Pleco are currently not showing any signs of Ich.

I have some Ich-X on the way and it should be here in a day or 2. Once I start my treatment of Ich-x would it be safe to raise my temp from 80f to 86f with the fish I have?

Any tips on beating this would be great. This is my first time dealing with Ich so i'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Thank you all for your replies!

Attached Files:

2. toomanyfishes

toomanyfishesValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +56
    Experience:
    5 years
    I would raise the tank to 86oF before medicating. Wait 2-3 weeks. If it dosen't clear up, use the medicine you ordered. Having ich medicine handy is always good.

3. FrostedFlakes

FrostedFlakesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +548
    Experience:
    2 years
    Usually you choose one treatment. Either heat or meds, not both. Medications are successful if used correctly and so can heat be, I am just an advocate for choosing the meds because I know they are effective and I have never tried heat. It is your choice, just make sure not to do them in conjunction. Keep the water clean and parameters in check Also if you medicate make sure to remove any filter carbon

4. OP
    OP
    HigherPrimate

Ratings:
    +5
    Awesome I wasn't sure if I should raise it up or not as I know it speeds up the Ichs life cycle and I was worried it may cause more fish to get it but after reading more I think cranking up the temp now is a much better option as it stops reproduction in the Ich.

5. FrostedFlakes

Ratings:
    +548
    Experience:
    2 years
    Just keep in mind some issues that can come with using heat. It has worked yes, but there can be added stress, decreased oxygen levels, and there are heat resistant strands of ich. Idk just in my experience I've seen too many people try heat and have it not work out too well. But again, this is your choice and I do not discourage you from it. Think of it more as a disclaimer

6. OP
    OP
    HigherPrimate

Ratings:
    +5
    If I wait 2 days until the Ich-X arrives would this delay in treatment possibly be bad? Im not really sure how long I have before my fish start to die..

The spots on my German Blue Ram and others dont seem to be getting larger in number, could it be just "stress ich".

To be honest I would rather use the Ich-X medicine as the reviews looked stellar. And I feel like the temp may be a bit high for my pleco but I have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2019
  7. FrostedFlakes

Ratings:
    +548
    Experience:
    2 years
    Ich X is widely used and many have success with it. Whenever I medicate I always strive for a stress free environment and I just haven't been a fan of the heat method, I don't know that's just my opinion.

8. StarGirl15

StarGirl15Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +291
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Do you have snails or inverts? MOST of that stuff is bad for them. I had to use the heat method because of my snails.

9. OP
    OP
    HigherPrimate

Ratings:
    +5
    Nope! No snails or inverts so the medication would be ok.

10. ForceTen

ForceTenValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +86
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I think he should ramp up the temp slowly and wait for his meds to arrive. However, like you say do not use both methods at the same time. Wait to see how temp increase works before adding meds. I think your fish can handle the increase.
    Raising the temp and changing water has always worked for me. Also clean up well, vacuum, clean glass and ornaments with treated water. (Prime)
    I'm no expert, but meds are my last resort. I do not like to add any more chemicals to the tank water than I have too.

I had ich in my tank. I raised the temp and within a few days I could see improvement.
    I did a major water change and kept changing water during the heat treatment. Make sure you add temp adjusted treated water.
    Save the meds until you see how the temp method works.
    It worked for me and countless others.
    Google this (you will get 100 differing opinions on this here) and stick with it. It works and no need to do anything but raise the temp up.

11. Addie42

Addie42Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,364
    I have had super ick cure by API work on multiple occasions
    I think it's a bit more user-friendly than ick-x because of the water change schedule on the instructions... I think ick-x is every day which is kind of a pain

12. FrostedFlakes

Ratings:
    +548
    Experience:
    2 years
  13. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,206
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  14. OP
    OP
    HigherPrimate

Ratings:
    +5
    Great thread there! I'm going to try the heat method as my electric blue ram is really not looking to good and I don't want to wait any longer.

15. GuppyDazzle

GuppyDazzleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +701
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    No. A term like "stress ich" doesn't mean it's a different kind of ich. If a fish is stressed for whatever reason, bad water, temperature fluctuations, etc., it is more susceptible to ich. White spots can appear when there's something else wrong.

When you see ich, it has been present for several days. Most of the life cycle is invisible. Your entire tank is infested. You have to treat the tank and everything in it, and don't share siphons or nets or anything else because it will spread easily. It can be treated, but typically will claim some fish in the process.

16. OP
    OP
    HigherPrimate

Ratings:
    +5
    I started raising the temp slowly it's at 86.5 now.

Unfortunately I lost my Angel Ram last night. I also couldn't find my Green Texas Cichlid (he is very small still) when I fed them this morning.. He is tough to spot so I'm hoping he was just hiding.. But I think I may have lost him as well. He usually comes out during feeding.

Cant say if the death was due to the Ich or heat. Im sure it was a combination of the stresses but hopefully they others make it through. Thank you all for your advice so far.

17. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,206
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    So sorry for your loss.

18. OP
    OP
    HigherPrimate

Ratings:
    +5
    So, I started using ich x on the remaining fish tonight. It says to do water changes and then redose everyday. Does that mean redose the whole tank volume or just the amount of water that was replaced?

19. FrostedFlakes

Ratings:
    +548
    Experience:
    2 years
    I believe it means whole tank volume.